PER-3.03 May 1, 1992 Appointment Rates
*****This policy's salary related provisions have been revised as of July 1, 2010.*****
See Salary Administration Policy Changes under Items of Interest.
I. POLICY AND/OR OBJECTIVE
- A new classified employee shall normally be appointed at the minimum rate established for the classification to which the position is assigned. Starting salaries to the midpoint of the established pay range may be recommended for each internal or external job applicant by the Human Resources Department based upon the candidate's training, education, experience, and skills. The Vice President for Human Resources will be responsible for final approval of beginning rates above the minimum of the pay range.
- A professional/administrative employee shall normally be appointed at the minimum rate for the classification to which the position is assigned. Any requests for appointment rates above the minimum of each range based upon the candidate's training, education, experience, and skills require the approval of the Vice President for Human Resources. Except in unusual circumstances, appointment rates should not exceed the midpoint of the pay range. Requests for exceptions which have been denied by the Vice President for Human Resources may be submitted to the Vice President for Finance and Administration for further consideration.
- The Vice President for Human Resources may authorize appointment rates below the minimum in the established pay range for trainee status employees, as provided in Section PER-2.08, Trainee Appointments.
- Where unusual market conditions exist for a particular position, a temporary exceptional hiring rate may be established by the Vice President for Human Resources so that the university can recruit and retain competent employees. Such rates shall be reviewed at least every six months and authorized only as long as the market for the position might warrant.
- A former employee with a satisfactory employment history who is reemployed in the same classification within six months of the date of his or her separation may be reemployed at the same rate in effect at the time of separation.
All requests for appointment rates for new employees above the minimum rate or above the rates normally provided upon promotion of an employee must be approved by the Vice President for Human Resources or his designee. The Human Resources Department will notify the department head of the decision.