Deadly Weapons/Destructive Devices
Per-1.21 August 23, 1996 Deadly Weapons/Destructive Devices
I. POLICY AND/OR OBJECTIVE
Possession or storage of a "deadly weapon" or "destructive device" is prohibited on any University of Louisville campus or in any facility owned, leased or operated by the university. This policy applies to university housing, university parking areas and private vehicles parked or operated either on campus or at any off-campus facility owned, leased or operated by the university. This policy shall not apply to police officers directly employed by the government, to federal agents or to ROTC equipment. The Director of Public Safety may grant exceptions to this policy in writing for the convenience of the university.
Any university faculty, staff, student or administrator determined to have violated this policy is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination or expulsion, under procedures of The Redbook, Staff Handbook, and the Code of Student Conduct.
- "Deadly weapon" as applied in this policy is:
- any weapon from which a shot readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury may be discharged;
- any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife;
- billy or nightstick;
- blackjack or slapjack;
- nunchaku karate stick;
- shuriken or death star; and
- artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic or similar hard material.
- "Destructive device" means any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb, grenade, mine, rocket, missile or similar device and includes the unassembled components from which such a device can be made.