connect with us via:
May 2013: Make a move for your good health!
Step away from the statusquo and enjoy the
view from a place where wellness is a journey, not a destination. Your
team at GHN is here to support you and make sure you're aware of the
multiple ways you can engage in an active and healthy lifestyle this
May. Read on for great ideas to restore your balance, renew your spirit
and regain confidence. Make a move for your good health!
Eat Well: Nutrition Information and Resource
Live Well: Self Care & Work-Life Balance
- 203 pounds lighter and a strong motivation to stay healthy, it's evident that Rosie Murrell has a great story to tell. Come hear her speak at the free A1C Champion Event, a special program for individuals managing Diabetes. May 9th and May 10th, from 12-1 p.m. Sponsored by Get Healthy
Now (UofL) and Wellness Works (UofL Health Care). Register today>>>
- How-To Festival Have you ever wanted to ace crossword
puzzles, make bread, raise chickens in your backyard, perform magic
tricks, square dance or make sushi? Then the Louisville Free Public
Library's How-To Festival is for you. Learn how to do more than 50
things in five hours – for free, all in one place. Saturday, May 11, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Main Library, 301 York Street. More info>>>
- Live What You Love Experience
positive energy and positive results as you participate in Get Healthy
Now’s Group Wellness Coaching. You will design and implement an action
plan to live the future of your dreams.
Meet us for 5 Wednesdays at
12 noon beginning May 15th in the in Nursing School K Building Room
K2016 on the Health Science Campus. Register today!
- What's Old is New Again: Donate your old sneakers and give new life to a young girl's fight against cancer. Bring those old 'kicks' to the new GHN Wellness Center ---for every pair, a dollar is donated to a local pediatric cancer cause that supports Miley Hodge in her fight against terminal bone cancer. Questions? Contact Angela Keene.
Be Active: Increase Physical Activity
- The you you've been waiting for...It All Starts Here! Visit the new GHN Wellness Center to get a jump start on your wellbeing! Fitness
and wellness classes, state-of-the-art equipment, fully refinished
locker rooms, and NO monthly membership fees for UofL employees (.40 FTE or greater)! Access the most current information that's available more >>> Located at 601 Presidents Blvd. (just a few blocks east of Belknap Campus)
- Run for the "L" of It: Show your UofL spirit during this 5K Run/Walk at 4th St Live on Saturday, May 25th at 8:00 AM. All ages are
welcome to participate and prizes will be given to winners in multiple
age and gender groups. Early registration is $20 per person ($10 for
students). Register online.
- Saddle Up for Bike Month! May is National Bike Month! Spring
is the perfect time to rediscover the health-promoting, money-saving
and planet-protecting joys of getting around on two wheels. Here are a number of great resources:
Monthly Focus: Movement Activity and Women's Health
- The 11th annual National Women's Checkup Day will be Monday, May 13, 2013, during National Women's Health Week. Calling all girlfriends, wives, mothers, sisters, daughters and superwoman... don't miss this opportunity to PLEDGE to take care of YOU!
- Sleepwalking through your job? Often hit by the 2 p.m. slump? Looking for a quick fix for those daily lags in energy? Read on to find out about a simple secret>>>
- UofL Professor being recognized at the Alltech symposium for her work on human nutrition: "This
year, Alltech will award its annual Medal of Excellence to a major
contributor in the field of nutrigenomics. Dr. Eugenia Wang, a professor
at the University of Louisville, will be honored for her work in
microRNA in both the U.S. and China...Dr. Wang is studying how the
expression of microRNA points to implications for human health, with
potential to find nutrigenomic solutions for diseases such as obesity,
cancer and diabetes." (Lane Report) Congratulations, Dr. Wang!
- Aiming to find a few ways to positively impact your health? Read this monthly article from the Kentucky Rx Coalition, who assist covered employees and their dependents with any issues related to their Rx benefit. Contact a Coalition pharmacist to learn more and ask questions related to medications (adverse reactions, drug interactions or over-the-counter options).
We love to hear from you! Like us on Facebook
and "join us" all month long for updates and daily inspiration. Visit: http://uofl.me/ghn-FB
Thank you for your continued interest in our programs and offerings. We look forward to providing you with insightful monthly happenings
& highlights to assist you in championing your health all year long!