connect with us via:
December 2013: Resiliency at it's finest
How often do you hear your family, colleagues, and neighbors repeat the age-old saying: "Time flies." During the month of December that is especially true: holiday celebrations; a season of hustle, bustle, and cheer; traveling here and there to see loved ones; gift exchanges and gatherings galore. As you reflect on the year past, remember a time when you were resilient. Defined as being 'able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions,' resiliency is at play every time you face adversity and decide to stay true. Stay focused. Be your best. Resiliency at it's finest is found in the here and now. There is so much to cherish, to celebrate, to be mindful of. Let the month ahead be a time of enjoying who you are and creating a brave vision of who you are becoming. We're here to support you (and cheer you on!) every step of the way!
- Eat with ease over the holidays: Join GHN to celebrate the AHA National Eating Healthy Day with one of these resources Healthy holiday recipes gaurenteed to impress
- Savor the Moment: Learn how to savor each moment of your one, wonderful life with GHN's Moment of Mindfulness Sessions with Paul Salmon, PhD, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. No registration or previous experience required, just drop in. Dress comfortably. Tuesday sessions held Jan 14-Apr 22 from, 5:30-5:55 p.m. at the GHN Wellness Center.
- GHN is on Facebook and sharing healthy recipe ideas on the regular. Like us to learn more!
- Weigh to Wellness is back to help you achieve your healthy weight! Enroll today!
- Good Health is in the Cards: When you're dining on campus, look for the Cardinal Heads to lead you to better nutrition. See the full Get Healthy Now Analysis: view nutritional facts, visit the restaurant's site by clicking the logo.
Live Well: Self Care & Work-Life Balance
- OM for the Holidays: Have you signed up for Yoga at the Get Healthy Now Wellness Center? Rejuvenate and restore your body and mind with our certified yoga instructors. Enjoy the best yoga value on campus - unlimited access to all Spring semester classes for only $40. Need more convincing? Come try it out during our free yoga preview December 19 – January 10!
- Are you caring for a loved one? Get Healthy Now and the Great Places to Work Work-Life Balance Committee are launching a new series geared towards employees who are caring for a grand/child, parent, relative, or friend. The monthly Caregiving workshop series is designed to support those caring for another by providing access to important resources, inspiring group support, and promoting self-care. Learn more about this new series launching in January 2014!
- Give Back in support our community's health: Help show how much UofL Cares by giving back during this year's annual campaign. Learn more and consider gifting Community Health Charities, or one of the other community charities, with your contributions today!
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR): Deepen your mindfulness practice through this eight-session MBSR program with Paul Salmon, Ph.D., Department of Psychological & Brain Sciences and Psychological Services Center. Learn more and sign up today.
- Achieve your goal to quit smoking in 2014. GHN Smoking Cessation classes starting in January can help you finally reach your 'GET QUIT' goal!
- CARD FIT Tip of the Month: Are you bulletproof? Resiliency and Exercise can help you achieve your highest potential. Read the current tip for inspiration for the athlete in ALL of us from UofL's Teena Murray.
- Request for Your Input: Worksite Wellness Research Study: IRB#13.0730
Support Get Healthy Now to better understand your perceptions of the wellness program and what factors affect a positive and healthy work environment for employees. Completion of the voluntary, confidential survey takes about 15 minutes. Click this link to get started. If you have any questions or comments about this study, contact ELFH Doctoral Candidate, Jennifer Hoert: email@example.com or 502-396-4869.
- The Get Healthy Now Wellness Center is your one-stop-wellness shop! Fitness and wellness classes, state-of-the-art equipment, fully refinished locker rooms, and NO monthly membership fees for UofL employees!
- Located at 601 Presidents Blvd: Directions
- Complete the Enrollment Packet [pdf] and bring with you when you first visit the facility.
- New this month:
- Holiday Hours at GHN Wellness Center: View the holiday schedule
- Plan ahead to make sure you meet your wellness goals over the holiday break! Contact the front desk staff for information about the Holiday Group Fitness Class Schedule.
- Get Healthy Now Wellness Center's Inclement Weather Policy
- Stocking Stuffers: Forget chocolate and candy canes, give the gift of good health! Don’t forget to purchase your Get Healthy Now Wellness Center Gift Certificates! Include these stocking stuffers for: Personal Training, Yoga, or a Get Healthy Now Wellness Center Membership. Your pick!
- Check out the December Group Fitness Schedule!
- Per your request, T-Zone Tone is now 6:30am – 7:30am!
- Our members have spoken, and we listened! The Get Healthy Now Wellness Center continues to add the equipment and services you request! Weight Lifting belts are now available to prevent back injuries during heavy lifting. See the front desk attendant to check out a weight lifting belt. Stay tuned, more updates are on the way!
- Guest Passes Now Available: Having family and friends in for the holidays? You can now treat out of town guests (ages 18+) to a day at the GHN Wellness Center! Purchase a guest pass for $5 per day or $20 per week. Call or visit to learn more: 852-7755.
- The YMCA and Get Healthy Now give UofL employees the gift of fitness over the holiday break! To visit the Y, show your current UofL employee I.D. and a valid drivers license. A spouse/QA, family member, or out-of-town guest can join you for $5 per person, per day with picture I.D. Waiver form required for access. Remember: The GHN Wellness Center will be open, too. View the holiday schedule. See reception for more details. YMCA Locations: YMCAs of Greater Louisville & Southern Indiana.
- 4th Place Finish: See photos from Team Get Healthy Now on Race Day!
- Transform your Body & Change your Life with GHN's Personal Training: Now is the perfect time to commit to your best self! When it comes to your wellbeing, to be your best you definitely want to work with the best. Contact GHN for more information at 852-7755 or email
- GHN Walk-to-Run Club is back: Are you planning on participating in events like the Louisville Triple Crown and/or the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini/Marathon? If so, join Get Healthy Now's Walk-to-Run Club! The 12 week training group led by professional staff will help you learn proper technique/form, gradually increase your endurance and pace, and meet your training goals! Walk-to-Run Club sessions will be held on Thursdays at 5:15 pm beginning January 16th. Join the club!
- As the 2013 program year wraps up, be sure to check your paycheck and ensure your Get Healthy Now premium incentives were properly applied throughout the calendar year. Corrections must be made before the end of 2013 calendar year. Federal guidelines prohibit adjustments that cross tax years. Questions? Email Get Healthy Now for assistance.
- Make Your New Year's Resolution A Reality
- Balanced Living: read this month's newletter to stay level.
- Are you one of the elite 500? GHN recently surpassed 500 Facebook followers! Thank you, friends, for your continued interest in our programs and offerings. Haven't joined us yet? 'Like us' and receive daily news, inspiration, and participate in extemporaneous challenges to earn fun incentives! Did you see our Halloween costumes?
- Active Transportation: UofL's Sustainability Council offers you these fun transport options that'll save money, burn calories and protect the planet:
- Find a few ways to positively impact your health: Read this monthly article from the Kentucky Rx Coalition, who assist covered employees and their dependents with any issues related to their Rx benefit. Contact a Coalition pharmacist to learn more and ask questions related to medications (adverse reactions, drug interactions or over-the-counter options).
We look forward to providing you with insightful monthly highlights & happenings to assist you in championing your health all year long!