The Unemployment Insurance Program is a joint federal/state partnership providing temporary and partial wage replacement benefits to workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own.
The following situations will disqualify a worker from drawing benefits:
- Voluntary Quit (not in lieu of dismissal)
- Work Refusal
- Labor Dispute
The Staff Development and Employee Relations office is responsible for processing and reviewing unemployment claims but does not make the decision as to whether or not an individual receives benefits. The State Unemployment Office makes the sole determination.
In Louisville, there are three locations:
- 600 West Cedar Street
Louisville, KY 40202-2396
- 5800 Fern Valley Road
Louisville, KY 40228-1093
- 6201-G Preston Highway
Louisville, KY 40219-1855
The following details the unemployment claim process:
- The claimant files a valid claim with the unemployment office. In order to have a valid claim, you must have had an attachment to the labor market, must be able, available and actively looking for work, and must be separated from your employer for non-disqualifying reasons.
- The unemployment office reviews and forwards claim form to last employer and /or other potentially chargeable employers.
- The chargeable employer must respond within 10 days of the mailing date of the claim form as to reasons for the claimant’s separation.
- Once the unemployment office receives the employer’s response by mail or in person at a fact-finding hearing, it makes a determination based on the claimant’s eligibility and qualification for benefits.
- The unemployment office then sends its findings to the claimant and the chargeable employer. Each has a right to appeal the determination.
If an appeal is necessary, the Staff Development and Employee Relations office will notify the appropriate University personnel and inform them of the hearing dates and times. A staff member from the Staff Development and Employee Relations office will accompany departmental representatives to the hearing. For additional information, please email the Staff Development and Employee Relations office.