The benefit choices you make during open enrollment take effect January 1 and remain in place through December 31. After January 1, you can make changes to your pre-tax benefits within 30 days of one of these "qualifying events" and provide proper documentation:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Proper Documentation: Birth - copy of hospital issued birth certificate or hospital issued statement of birth; Adoption – copy in English of the adoption paperwork from the state or country of origin.
- Marriage or Divorce
- Proper Documentation: Copy of marriage certificate
- Legal Separation
- Proper Documentation: Copy of legal document showing the date of separation or divorce.
- Spouse/Dependent/QA gains or loses other coverage or eligibility
- Proper Documentation: Gains coverage – letter from the new employer or health care provider stating the first day of coverage; Loses coverage – letter from the former employer or health care provider stating the last day of coverage.
- Change in your employment status (Full-time to part-time)
- No additional documentation needed.
Other events, such as the death of a family member or relocation of qualifying family members, are also considered qualifying events. Other events may be covered as well. Please contact your benefits counselor to determine what documentation is needed in that circumstance, as well as to confirm eligibility.
How to Notify HR of a Qualifying Event
Start the process by forwarding your documentation for your qualifying event to HR Benefits at email@example.com. You have 30 days from the date of the qualifying event to submit the documentation and make your elections online. Once you submit your documentation, you will receive an email notification once you are able to log in to ULink* to make your changes, typically within 24-48 hours.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a qualifying event and do not provide documentation to Human Resources within 30 days, you will have to wait until next year's open enrollment to make changes.
* To access ULink to make these changes, you will need to use the UL2FCTR / DUO authentication (a two-factor authentication) as you log in. If you have not previously done this, visit http://louisville.edu/it/ul2fctr for more details on how to sign up.