Visitation Vote Spring 2013
Spring 2013 First-Year Visitation Information
Residents of the following halls are being given the opportunity to vote on an expansion of the current visitation policy in the first year residence halls. This expansion will increase the number of hours resident students may have visitors of the opposite sex in their room.
- Center Hall (1/25 - 1/30)
- Unitas Tower (1/25 - 1/30)
- Miller Hall (1/25 - 1/30)
- Wellness Hall (1/25- 1/30)
This information is being provided so that you can make an informed choice about the proposed visitation policy and to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and expectations that go along with 24 -hour visitation. Please review this information carefully and indicate that you understand by marking the appropriate box on the voting page. If you have additional questions about the proposed policy please direct them to the Resident Student Association at the following:
The current visitation policy in the first-year halls permits visitation in student rooms from 12 noon to 12 midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and 12 noon to 2 am, on Friday and Saturday.
Residents in Unitas Tower are being given the opportunity to:
- maintain the current policy,
- expand the visitation policy to permit members of the opposite sex to visit in student rooms for the following hours:
- Option A
- Sunday through Friday 12 noon until 12 midnight (as current)
- Friday and Saturday 24 hour visitation
- Option B
- 24 hour visitation 7 days a week
- In order for there to be a 24 hour visitation policy in place, 80% of the residents of each hall must vote in favor of a policy
- In order for Option B to go into effect, 85% of the votes in favor of 24 hour visitation policy must vote for Option B. If not, Option A will go into effect.
- Residents will be expected to sign-in their guests while they are visiting and to sign-out their guests when the guests exit the building. 24-hour visitation does not negate a resident’s responsibility from following the proper sign in/sign out procedures. This policy is online at http://louisville.edu/housing/policies/standards/hallpolicies.html
- Residents will be responsible to escort their guests at all times during their visit. Visitors should be escorted from outside the lobby, up to the room, back to the lobby, and outside.
- Residents who observe violations of the escort, sign in/sign out policy should contact the RD, RA or housing staff.
- During the 24 hour visitation period, residents may have the opposite sex “visit” their room. Visitors MAY NOT participate in the following
- Sleep over night in a resident’s room
- Move in, or live in the residence hall
- Use floor rest room for any reason
- Remain in the room when the resident is out of the building
- Be anywhere outside of the room unescorted
- You and your roommate should discuss the effect of the 24 hour visitation and set some guidelines. AT NO TIME CAN A RESIDENT BE FORCED OUT OF THEIR ROOM—EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY—BECAUSE OF THEIR ROOMMATES GUESTS. Residents can request that their roommate’s guest leave the room if the visit is disrupting sleep or study.
- If you and your roommate are having trouble agreeing upon guest visitation please contact your RD, RA or the housing office.
- If residents vote to expand the 24 hour visitation it will be done on a trial basis only. THE RD OR RA MAY AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON TAKE AWAY 24 HOUR VISITATION. This change will be in effect for the Spring 2012 semester only. The new policy will be reviewed regularly to determine if the residents are meeting all policy expectations.
- The following situations will lead to review of the 24 hour visitation policy:
- Policy or procedures related to escort violations, guest sign in sign out and/or visitation are being ignored or abused
- Behaviors, as determined by the Housing and Residence Life Office, including but not limited to vandalism, activation of false alarms, increased noise level, alcohol possession and/or consumption, and/or other behaviors that are disruptive to the community or educational environment of the residence halls.
I AGREE THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ESCORT POLICY, GUEST SIGN IN/OUT PROCEDURES AND VISITATION POLICY AS OUTLINED IN SPRING 2012 VISITATION INFORMATION AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT FORM AND ONLINE AT http://louisville.edu/housing/policies/standards/hallpolicies.html.
I FURTHERMORE UNDERSTAND THAT FAILING TO FOLLOW THESE POLICIES WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF MY VISITATION PRIVILEGES AND SANCTIONS THROUGH THE HOUSING AND RESIDENCE LIFE DISCIPLINE SYSTEM