Medical Dental Apartment Policies

The information provided in this section is specifically for those students residing in University Tower Apartments and the Medical-Dental Apartments regarding what you need to know to live safely and comfortably.

Please note that you are responsible for all the information listed in this entire document as well as that in the license agreement signed.  Questions or clarification should be directed to the Apartment Manager (AM), Assistant Managers (AAM) or the Housing Office.  We are glad you are a part of our Housing and Residence Life community!

Abandoning Property

Residents who leave without checking out properly with building staff and leave personal items behind will be notified that these items will be discarded after a certain date.  The university assumes no responsibility for abandoned property in the residence halls.  Public areas are not intended for storage of personal belongings.  Staff will warn the resident to return the personal items to her/his apartment.  If the resident continues to leave items in public areas, the items will be considered abandoned property and removed or disposed of by the staff.

Apartment Changes/Transfer Fee

After the first transfer (room change) of apartments, a $100 processing fee will be added to the resident’s university account each time a move is made.  This fee is required to help cover the cost of necessary maintenance needed in apartments between occupants as well as the administrative work required to properly transfer agreements.

Bedroom Occupancy

The fire code requires that each bedroom should hold no more than two adults and one child.   Each two bedroom should hold no more than four adults or no more than 2 adults and two children.

Cancellation Policy

Apartment licenses are binding for one year (June 1 – May 15).  Cancellation fees for the apartment license include:

  • Students granted release for a special circumstance as listed on the license will be held accountable for one month’s license fee.
  • Students granted release but do not qualify for special circumstances will be held responsible for two months’ license fees.

Change in Marital Status

When spouses become separated or divorced, it is the responsibility of the resident to notify the Housing Office that a spouse is no longer a resident of his/her apartment and that the housing agreement should be changed.  If the staff become aware of such a change in status from some other source and confirm that information with the resident, the same procedure should occur.  Building staff need to be notified by the Housing staff person receiving the information, so that access is denied should the spouse, who is no longer a resident, request admittance.

Whenever a staff person is in doubt of the status of a married couple, he/she should contact the resident before allowing anyone entrance into an apartment.  If the resident is not available, check with the apartment manager or the Housing Office.

Additionally, as part of the check in process for married couples, apartment managers will review this policy and others especially related to families.

Before a newly arrived spouse will be issued keys, the resident must provide a copy of the marriage license in English to the Housing Office or apartment manager.   If the document is not in English, translation must be done by an authorized translator and notarized.

Change of Address

Each time a resident moves (including changing apartments and moving out), a change of address form must be completed and sent to the US Post Office.  Forms are available from the building staff.

Child Abuse Policy

When it is suspected a resident’s child is being abused, Housing and Residence Life staff is required by law to make a report to Child Protective Services (595-4550).  Child abuse may be indicated by physical marks on the child, the child may report abuse, or the child may be left unattended in a room or apartment.  These are only some examples of child abuse and may not be exhaustive.  The following steps will be taken when abuse is suspected:

  1. The Housing professional staff on call will be contacted.
  2. The hall staff will document the incident.
  3. If after hours, Child Protective Services will be contacted the next working day by Housing staff.


Requests for roommates of the opposite sex will be denied.  Refer to the guest extended stay policy for apartments for more details.

Escort and Sign-In Policy

Visitors to apartments are allowed to remain in the apartment even if the resident leaves the building.  Refer to the visitation policy for apartments for more details.  Signing in of guests is not required in Medical Dental Apartments. Residents do need to be in the elevator when sending the elevator for a guest.

Fire Drills

Evacuation for all fire alarms is mandated by the Fire Marshall.  The Housing Office has worked with him to allow the fire drills to be as early in the evening as possible but still occurring at a time that most residents will be in their apartments. Louisville Hall (for UTA residents) and the Health Sciences parking garage (for Med-Dent) are made available for shelter in inclement weather.  No excuse is acceptable for failure to evacuate in a timely manner, unless you have advance permission from the apartment manager.  Even then exceptions are only made for reasons due to sickness or incapacitation.  These drills happen four times a year in August, November, February and May.

Fire Safety

Hanging objects from sprinkler heads, pipes and electrical conduit is strictly prohibited.  “Live cut” trees (such as Christmas trees) are not permitted anywhere in the buildings.

Guest Extended-Stay Policy

Guests staying more than two weeks must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Be sure you have gotten your request approved BEFORE your guests purchase tickets and arrive.
  • Any guest, including parents, siblings, friends, etc., must be approved by Housing and Residence Life before they can stay in the apartment for more than 14 days.  You can get a request form from the apartment manager or simply put the following information in writing and submit to the apartment manager:
    • Your name and apartment number
    • How many guests you are expecting (specify adults and children)
    • Start and end dates for their visit
    • Whether you will be requesting extra keys
  • If you currently have any guest in your apartment staying over 14 days you must report this to the apartment manager and/or assistant apartment manager immediately.
  • Due to Fire Marshall regulations, we must know how many people are staying in each apartment for safety reasons.  See Bedroom Occupancy for detailed explanation.
  • If space is available, family members may rent a room in another location during their stay.
  • Being in violation of the above policies will result in formal disciplinary action that could result in loss of your housing agreement.

Over the years, we have determined that two guests per resident present is a comfortable limit for guest, noise, and general community issues.

Guest Sign in Policy for UTA

  • It is not required to sign in guests from other floors in the building.
  • It is required to escort guests from the lobby to one’s apartment.  If the resident is a parent and cannot bring the child with him or her to escort their guest due to the child’s bedtime or illness, it is permitted to contact the front desk and give permission to admit the guest onto the elevator.  Staff should fill out the guest log with the appropriate information.  ny resident abusing this exemption could lose their privilege to have guests in the building.
  • Place your blue card in the appropriate container in the lobby to ensure your guest information is not left out for others to see.
  • Be prepared for front desk staff to request to see identification from you and/or your guest if they do not know you to be a resident.
  • Staff may request that you sign in if you do not do so upon entering the building, but due to sometimes being occupied with other related tasks, don’t expect to be reminded to sign in.  It is the resident’s responsibility to ensure they follow the procedure.
  • The policy continues to permit guests to be left in the apartment even if the resident leaves the building.  Guests should not wander the building without an escort and could be asked to leave the building if their behavior is disruptive.
  • For residents on floors 2 – 6, if you wish to have guests stay with you for more than 14 days, you must request permission in writing (see policy above).  The housing office approves these requests based on fire safety requirements being met.  However, residents on floors 7 – 11 are expected to abide by the illegal occupancy and cohabitation policy. Guests for extended periods will never be approved.
  • Staff can and will ask guests to leave at any time they determine the guest is a disruption to the community.  Some examples of such concerns would be illegal activity, possession of a key, smoking, being unescorted and inconsiderate behavior/rudeness directed toward staff and others.

Lock Outs

Residents in Med Dent and UTA are permitted three free lockouts (including any members of families that get locked out). Any lockouts done by hall staff will be recorded with the apartment manager.  After two lockouts, the apartment manager will contact the resident in writing warning him/her of the consequences of a third lockout.  If three lockouts occur, the apartment manager meets with the resident to determine a method to improve keeping up with his/her keys.  The resident will also be notified that all future lockouts will cost $5.  This charge will be billed to their university account.  Residents will be notified in writing when a charge is issued.


Staff will enter apartments to fix reported repairs and for regular maintenance.  Signs will be posted to alert you to these entries.  Your apartment will be entered even if you are not there.  If you are there and you are concerned, you may not hear the knock, feel free to put your chain on the door to prevent being walked in on.  Remember, however, that we must be able to enter your apartment for our regular maintenance routines.  You will be contacted if chaining your door prevents this on a regular basis.

Musical Instruments

Medical-Dental residents are permitted to play instruments 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm seven nights a week.  They should not be played any other time.

Package Delivery

When packages cannot be delivered to the building because the resident is not home, the delivery person will leave written notification in a box outside the building.  Every day by 10 pm the apartment manager will empty the box and post the notices in a central location in the lobby.  It is the resident’s responsibility to arrange for receipt of his/her package. University staff will never take responsibility for receipt of a resident’s package/mail.

Parking for Residents on Rotation (Med-Dent)

Bring your housing license agreement, car license and registration to the Parking Office on Chestnut St. to purchase a short term permit.  Hours are M-F 8 am – 1 pm and 2 – 4 pm.

Policy Infractions

First time Level One violations (See Judicial Process for list) will require a meeting with the AM and result in an informal warning.  Further violations would result in discipline sanctions being incurred.

Quiet Agreement

Quiet is defined as noise that is contained within apartments 24 hours a day.  Although no areas can be completely free of noise, noise levels are to be kept at a minimum.  Due to the nature of this living area, only small private events where all noise and activities are contained within an apartment are permitted.  All guests are expected to be informed of and held accountable for this policy.  If other residents are not upholding this agreement, it is expected that residents will confront one another regarding keeping their noise down before reporting to building staff.  When in public areas, voices will be kept to conversational tones.

Consequences of Violating Guidelines

  • First violation: informal warning
  • Second violation: administrative warning
  • Third violation: written reprimand and housing reassignment or termination

Recreation Room Use

A recreation room is located in the basement of each apartment building.  It is a large non-smoking area for residents’ use. Though amenities vary, the rooms may contain a pool table, ping-pong table, board games, children’s toys and a television. The room may also be used for other activities such as meetings, building programs, presentations, studying, or celebrations.  The residents may reserve the room for private events through the apartment manager.

To reserve the room, complete the reservation request a week prior to the date of the event.  Please be aware of the following rules:

  • No alcoholic beverages are allowed
  • No smoking
  • Decorations cannot be hung from pipes
  • The area needs to be cleaned up after the event and furniture, if moved, has to be returned to its original location
  • No food can be left in the area
  • Noise level has to be monitored so it cannot be heard on the upper floors
  • All guests must be escorted in and out the building by the resident
  • To use recreation room equipment (i.e., ping pong, pool, etc.), follow the procedure set up in the building which may include signing a use agreement, leaving a photo ID and returning equipment to the storage location by midnight.

Requests for Additional Keys

Should a resident need to provide a non-resident key access to the building, that request must be put in writing to the apartment manager.  It may take 5 – 7 days to receive a response.  Residents should not have copies of keys made on their own as this practice jeopardizes the building residents’ security.  Residents found to have made keys without permission risk loss of their housing agreement.

Supervision of Minors

Our greatest concern is for the safety and security of all our residents, including the children, however, the housing staff cannot be expected to monitor children left unattended by their caregivers.  Caregivers who leave children unattended, especially when the children are disrupting the community or causing a safety threat to themselves or others, will be referred to the housing discipline system.  Students who do not monitor their children could risk loss of their housing agreement.

Tenants’ Meetings

Each month the apartment staff will hold an open meeting for all residents.  There may be a program presented, a speaker provided or simply an open forum offered to discuss building issues.  Attending these meetings helps residents keep informed about Housing policies and changes and gives a voice to apartment residents’ needs.  Get involved in your community!

Unsanitary Apartments/Rooms

During regular maintenance checks and other random visits by staff, a room may be deemed to be unsanitary and/or a fire hazard due to furniture or personal items blocking safe exit, excessive trash, grease in stove area, papers, and other combustibles on the floor, etc.  Personal items should be stored in a clean and orderly manner to promote proper hygiene and lessen the risk of pest infestation.  Should such an infraction occur, the resident will be notified in writing that he/she has three days to address the problem.  If it is not taken care of satisfactorily, Housing will have the problem corrected at the resident’s expense.

Violence in Relationships

Violence occurs in both dating and marital relationships.  Most commonly “violence” means pushing, shoving, slapping or hitting.  It can also mean hitting with objects, threats to use or use of weapons, forced sexual relations, or other life threatening acts.  Violence can also take the form of verbal abuse.  Name calling, ridiculing, threats, or other ways of systematically, purposefully destroying an individual’s self esteem can have even more devastating long-term effects than the physical violence.

If violence occurs:

  • Consider your safety first.  Get away from the violent person.  ousing can relocate you within the residence halls if you feel your safety is at risk.
  • Break the silence.  Tell someone about your partner’s violent behavior:  friends, family, RA, a teacher, or anyone you can trust.
  • Remember the violence will not go away on its own.  Help is available for both you and your partner.  The 24-hour crisis line # is (502) 581-7222 or call your RA for help.

PEACC is a great resource available for those with questions about date rape, sexual assault, domestic and dating violence and stalking. 852-2663, 100 Student Health and Counseling Center Bldg.