What UofL is doing to address the mold problem in residence halls
- Oct. 17: UofL completes Miller Hall move, offers services to students
- Oct. 17: Additional transportation services added
- Oct. 17: UofL press conference video
On Oct. 10, 2012, University of Louisville officials announced that elevated levels of mold spores known as aspergillus and penicillium were found in Miller Hall. While these molds typically do not pose a health risk to most people, they can cause problems at elevated levels – especially for those with respiratory problems such as asthma, allergies and those with high sensitivity to mold.
To ensure the well-being of students and staff, the university decided to close Miller Hall for extensive cleaning, remediation and source identification. All 270 of Miller Hall’s students were moved to other university-affiliated resident halls, nearby hotels or to off-campus locations such as a family home. Most of the students moved out of Miller Hall by Oct. 12 and the building was closed Oct. 14.
On Oct. 17 the university announced that there is no need to displace additional students after testing for mold was completed in several other halls. Read more.
Information for students and parents
We understand that asking students to move in the middle of a semester is disruptive and stressful. To help students and their families understand how these unexpected moves impact things like housing, meal plans, laundry and parking, please see our fact sheet for displaced students (PDF).
About the mold
- Information about aspergillus and penicillium
- For general information from the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention about molds, see http://www.cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm
- Campus Community and parents - Send an email with your questions or comments to email@example.com or call the housing office 502-852-6636.
- Media – contact Mark Hebert at 502-852-3133
- Emergency situations: Contact Campus Police at 502-852-6111
The university will continue to consult with experts and cleaning crews to address the mold issue. Updated information will be available on this website