Medical Dental Apartment Policies

Medical Dental Apartments are twelve-month lease apartments. Residents in these apartments are responsible for reading and understanding all information contained in the following policies as well as in the general Assignment Policies. Questions regarding these policies should be directed to the Campus Housing Office in West Hall.

Apartment Changes/Transfer Fee

After the first transfer (room change) of apartments in University Tower Apartments and/or Med-Dent Apartments, a $100 processing fee will be added to the resident’s university account each time a move is made.  This fee is required to help cover the cost of necessary maintenance needed in apartments between occupants as well as the administrative work required to properly transfer agreements.

Bedroom Occupancy

The fire code requires that each bedroom in University Tower Apartments and/or Med-Dent Apartments should hold no more than two adults and one child.   Each two-bedroom should hold no more than four adults or no more than 2 adults and two children.


Apartment licenses are binding for one year (May 1 – May 1).  Cancellation fees for the apartment license include:

  • Students granted release for a special circumstance as listed on the license will be held accountable for one month’s license fee.
  • Students granted release but do not qualify for special circumstances will be held responsible for one months’ license fee.

Change in Marital Status

When spouses become separated or divorced, it is the responsibility of the resident to notify the Campus Housing Office that a spouse is no longer a resident of their apartment and that the housing agreement should be changed.  If the staff become aware of such a change in status from some other source and confirm that information with the resident, the same procedure should occur.  Building staff need to be notified by the Housing staff person receiving the information, so that access is denied should the spouse, who is no longer a resident, request admittance.  Whenever a staff person is in doubt of the status of a married couple, he/she should contact the resident before allowing anyone entrance into an apartment.  If the resident is not available, check with the apartment manager or the Housing Office.

Additionally, as part of the check in process for married couples, apartment managers will review this policy and other policies related to families.  Before a newly arrived spouse will be issued keys, the resident must provide a copy of the marriage license in English to the Housing Office or apartment manager.   If the document is not in English, it must be translated by an authorized translator and notarized.

Change of Address

Each time a resident moves (including changing apartments and moving out), a change of address form must be completed and sent to the US Post Office.  Forms are available from the building staff.


Staff will enter apartments to fix reported repairs and for regular maintenance.  Signs will be posted to alert you to these entries.  Your apartment will be entered even if you are not there.  If you are concerned that you may not hear a knock and be walked in on, use the door chain to lock your door.   Remember, however, that we must be able to enter your apartment for our regular maintenance routines.  You will be contacted if chaining your door prevents this on a regular basis.

Package Delivery

When packages cannot be delivered to the building because the resident is not home, the delivery person will leave written notification in a box outside the building.  Every day by 10pm the Hall Director will empty the box and post the notices in a central location in the lobby.  It is the resident’s responsibility to arrange for receipt of their package. University staff will never take responsibility for receipt of a resident’s package/mail.

Recreation Room Use

The recreation room is located in the basement of the building. It is a large, non-smoking area for resident’s use. The room contains a pool table, seating, and space for gatherings. The room may be used for activities such as meetings, building programs, presentations, studying, or celebrations. The residents may reserve the room for a private event after 5pm Monday – Friday or anytime during the day over a weekend.

To reserve the room, contact the apartment manager at least 7 days in advance via email. Please be aware of the following rules:

  • Alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
  • Smoking is not allowed.
  • Decorations cannot be hung from pipes.
  • The are must be cleaned after your event. If furniture is moved, it must be moved back to it’s original place.
  • No food may be left in the area.
  • Noise level must be kept at an acceptable level so that it cannot be heard on the upper floors.
  • All guests must be escorted in and out of the building by the resident.

To use the pool table equipment, follow the check-out procedure set for the building at the front desk. Equipment must be returned to the front desk no later than midnight.

Requests for Additional Keys

Should a resident need to provide a non-resident key access to the building, that request must be put in writing to the apartment manager.  It may take 5 – 7 days to receive a response.  Residents should not have copies of keys made on their own as this practice jeopardizes the building residents’ security.  Residents found to have made keys without permission risk loss of their housing agreement.

Some links on this page may lead to PDFs. To read PDFs, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.