Rank I Program in Special Education - Advanced Practitioner P-12Major: SPE
Degree Awarded: NON
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/rank
Rank I programs are planned graduate level programs designed for Kentucky teachers seeking rank change for salary purposes. Rank I programs are not degree programs. They are recognized only in the state of Kentucky. By state regulation, Rank I status is sixty (60) semester hours of approved graduate credit including a Master's degree.
Students may apply to the program by first going to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies, http://graduate.louisville.edu/apply.
- Official transcripts with a GPA of 2.75 in the Bachelor's degree and a GPA of 3.0 in the Master's degree.
- Teaching certificate
- TOEFL (Students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
|Inquiry (3 hours) ||3|
|EDAP 606||Orientation in Reading (take first semester of enrollment)|
|EDSP 639||Research in Special Education|
|Advocacy (6 hours) ||6|
Leadership (Select one of the following) (3 hours)
EDSP 597 Issues in Special Education
EDAP 606 Orientation and Readings (take in first semester of enrollment)
EDAP 607 Leadership and Change
EDAP 624 Curriculum Theory
EDAP 625 Social and Ethical Development of Teaching
ELFH 603 Administrative Leadership in a Reform Environment
ELFH 613 Administration and Supervision in Special Education
Diversity (Select one of the following) (3 hours)
EDSP 537 Language Learning
EDSP 545 Exceptional Child in the Regular Classroom
EDAP 642 Literacy Learning and Cultural Differences
EDTP 626 Affirming Diversity
EDTP 503 Developing Cross-Cultural Competence
SOC 630 Sociology of Education
WMST 532 History of American Sexualities
WMST 556 Feminist Theory
PAS 529 Teaching Institute on African-American Issues
|Action (3 hours)||3|
|EDSP 669||Single Subject Research Design|
|Area of Emphasis (at least 15 hours)||15|
|Electives (3 hours)||3|
|Minimum Hours Required||30|
Midpoint Requirement: M.Ed. candidates are required to submit a mid-program portfolio at the completion of 15 credit hours of coursework. The faculty advisor will assess the candidate's portfolio, which must at the target or satisfactory level. If this mid-point portfolio requirement is not met, a candidate will be prohibited from course registration beyond 15 credit hours.
Exit Requirement: Portfolio or National Board Certification
1. Minimum of 18 hours in 600-level courses is required.
2. Transfer credit must be officially accepted by the advisor (maximum of 6 hours) - final acceptance is dependent upon receipt of official transcripts
3. A maximum of 6 hours taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a Masters degree (upon approval of advisor).
4. To complete the program, students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than "C".
5. Successful completion of the appropriate PRAXIS Exam(s) is required if adding teacher certification in LBD or MSD.
6. The Rank I classification shall require the completion of 60 semester hours approved graduate level credit including a Masters degree.
Praxis Disclaimer: "Teacher certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s), please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website at www.kyepsb.org or www.ets.org/praxis.ky for current requirements."
Associate Professor, Assistive Technology
Assistant Professor, Moderate and Severe Disabilities