Master of Education in Special Education with Concentration in Learning and Behavior Disorders P-12Major: SPE
Degree Awarded: MED
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/med-se-lbd
Admission Requirements: Admission to School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies, Bachelors degree from an accredited institution, two letters of recommendation, minimum combined score of 800 on the GRE. Test of English as a Foreign Language required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language, a copy of a Kentucky teaching certificate, and 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
Prerequisite for Admission to the Program:
1. EDSP 540, Introduction to Exceptional Children or its equivalent
2. Teacher Certification
Inquiry (9 hours)
|EDSP 644* Applied Behavior Analysis||3|
|EDSP 639 Research Analysis in Special Education||3|
|EDSP 669 Single Subject Research Methods and Designs||3|
|Advocacy (6 hours)|
|EDSP 597 Seminar in Special Education: Issues in Special Education||3|
|EDSP 618 Instructional Technology for Students with Special Needs||3|
|Action (3 hours)|
|EDSP 645* Learning and Behavioral Disorders Practicum||3|
|Midpoint Assessment: Completion of 1/2 of Experienced Teacher Standards, with 3/4 of indicators for each standard|
|Area of Emphasis (At least 18 hours)|
|EDSP 637 Transdisciplinary Collaboration for Inclusion||3|
|EDTP 647 Teaching Mathematics to Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSP 642* Assessment Procedures for Learning and Behavior Disorders||3|
|EDSP 643* Instructional Procedures for Learning and Behavior Disorders||3|
|EDSP 675* Characteristics, Needs, and Responses to Students with EBD||3|
|EDTP 640* Teaching Reading Special Education P-12||3|
|Minimum total hours ||36|
Exit Requirements: Portfolio (All ETS standards and 3/4 of indicators for each standard) or Master's Thesis (EDAP 699)
- Students who make a grade of B- or below in any course leading to teacher certification are required to repeat the course before being admitted to Practicum (EDSP 645).
- Successful completion of the appropriate PRAXIS Exams is required for Learning and Behavior Disorders teacher certification.
- Successful completion of midpoint evaluation of program, performance and portfolio.
- Minimum of 18 hours in 600-level courses is required.
- Transfer credit must be officially approved by the advisor (maximum of 6 hours) - final acceptance is dependent upon receipt of official transcripts.
- A maximum of 6 hours taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a Masters degree (upon approval of advisor).
- All courses must be completed within 6 years of admission to the program.
- To complete the program, students must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than "B-".
"Teacher certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s), please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website at www.epsb.ky.gov or http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky for current requirements.
Certification and Degree Assessment: Satisfactory dispositions assessment; 3.0 cumulative GPA(and no more than a total of two “C’s” in degree courses); satisfactory portfolio; passing scores on PRAXIS exams; positive recommendation from the Special Education Program Committee.
Chair Special Education Department
Assistant Chair Special Education Department