Master of Education in Special Education with Concentration in AutismMajor: SPE
Degree Awarded: MED
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/med-se-a
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution, two letters of recommendation, minimum combined score of 800 on the GRE, Test of English as a Foreign Language required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language, and 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
Prerequisite to enter the program:
|EDSP 540 Introduction to Exceptional Children or equivalent||3|
|Inquiry (Critical Thinker) (9 hours)|
|EDSP 644 Applied Behavior Analysis||3|
|EDSP 639 Research Analysis in Special Education||3|
|EDSP 669 Single Subject Research Methods and Designs||3|
|Advocacy: (Professional Leader) (6 hours)|
|EDSP 597 Seminar in Special Education: Issues in Special Education||3|
|EDSP 627 Applications in Assistive Technology||3|
|Action (Problem Solver) (3 hours)|
|EDSP 635 Moderate and Severe Disabilities Practicum||3|
|Completion of ½ of Experienced Teacher Standards, with ¾ of indicators for each standard|
|Area of Emphasis (At least 15 hours)|
|EDSP 670 Autism: Introduction and Understanding||3|
|EDSP 671 Autism: Strategies and Techniques||3|
|EDSP 646 Augmentative Communication||3|
|EDSP 672 Autism: Collaboration and Technology||3|
|EDSP 673 Supporting Students with Asperger’s Syndrome in the Classroom||3|
|Elective (3 hours)|
|Minimum total hours||36|
Portfolio (All ETS standards and ¾ of indicators for each standards) or Master’s Thesis (EDSP699)
- Minimum of 18 hours in 600-level courses is required.
- Transfer credit must be officially accepted by the advisor (maximum of 6 hours) - final acceptance is dependent upon receipt of official transcripts.
- A maximum of 6 hours taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a master's degree (upon approval of advisor).
- All courses must be completed within 6 years of admission to the program.
- To complete the program, students must have minimum of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than "C".
Chair Special Education Department
Assistant Chair Special Education Department