Master of Education in Community HealthMajor: HPE
Degree Awarded: MED
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/med-ch
Students generally pursue careers at work-sites (plan and implement wellness programs to keep employees healthy and maintain a safe work environment), medical services (develop, implement and evaluate health promotion programs in hospitals, HMO’s, acute care clinics and long-term facilities) and communities (assess needs for health promotion programs, and deliver education programs at various sites in the community, including voluntary health agencies and government-based service programs).
The goal of the health education program is the development and preparation of individuals to be future leaders in a variety of urban settings including public and private corporations and government agencies in the area of health and human performance.
All candidates must meet the requirements for admission to certain specific programs offered by the College of Education and Human Development. All students applying for a master’s program in education must submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. A combined score of 293 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and a 4.0 on the Analytical section is required for this program. Some programs may require a higher GRE score. Exit Requirements: Minimum of 3.0 GPA, and two of the following: portfolio, internship, exit exam, research project or thesis.
The deadlines for admission will be:
- March 1 for Summer or Fall admission.
- October 1 for Spring admission.
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 overall.
- GRE scores of at least 293 (verbal and quantitative combined) and 4.0 on the Analytical section.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score for international students from countries where English is not the native language. Students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Formal Statement of Purpose
|HSS 675 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention at the Individual Level||3|
|HSS 676 Community Health Promotion and Disease Prevention||3|
|HSS 684 Program Planning in Health Education and Promotion||3|
|HSS 655 Current Trends and Issues in Health and Sport Sciences||3|
|HSS 631 Leadership in Health Promotion||3|
|ELFH 600 Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics||3|
|HSS 604 Research Methods in Health and Sport Sciences||3|
|Internship/Practicum – Location approved by advisor.|
|HSS 692 Cooperative Internship/Practicum||6|
|Electives – Courses approved by advisor.||9|
|Minimum total hours:||36|
Exit Requirements: Student must also satisfactorily complete an exit exam and submit a portfolio of all Hallmark Assessments and internship materials.
Health Education Program Director