Specialist in Education in Educational AdministrationMajor: EDAD
Degree Awarded: Ed.S.
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/eds-ea
Cards 7: Degree Program Admission Requirements
- Joint screening by ELFH Department and local school district personnel
- A written rationale for pursuing the degree (limit of 1 page)
- A current resume
- Your philosophy of education (not to exceed 2 pages)
- Two written letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's skills and understanding of (a) ability to improve student achievement, (b) leadership, (c), advanced knowledge of curriculum, instruction, and assessment. One must be from the current site supervisor.
- Three years of successful K-12 teaching experience in Kentucky (including successful completion of the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program), or three years ( 1 year = 140 contract days) of successful K-12 teaching outside the state of Kentucky.
- Evidence of bachelor’s and master's degree.
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
Admission to this Program
- General Test Section score on the Graduate Record Examination of 900 (V & Q)
- A 3.3 grade point average from the Masters degree program
- Signed copies of the following forms: Acceptable Use of Technology Agreement and Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel
|ELFH 633||Organizational Structures and Operations||3|
|ELFH 634||P-12 Leadership for Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment||3|
|ELFH 635||P-12 Human Resources: Securing and Developing Staff||3|
|ELFH 636||Shaping School Culture and Community||3|
|Satisfactory dispositions assessment.Satisfactory completion of Hallmark/Dispositions Assessments in ELFH 633, 634, 635, and 636. Must maintain a GPA of 3.3.|
|ELFH 637||Leveraging Community Systems and Resources for School Improvement||3|
|ELFH 620||Legal Issues in P-12 Education||3|
|ELFH 622||Educational Resource Management in P-12 Education||3|
|ELFH 782||Reflective Practice for School Leaders||3|
|Total Credit Hours for Level 1:||24|
|Refer to program completion requirements for Level 1 prior to Level 2|
|ELFH 609||Principal Internship (required course)||3|
|Students should select an additional 3 credit hour course from one of the 3 options below||3|
|ELFH 720||Advanced Internship in Leadership|
|ELFH XXX||Elective (TBD by student and advisor - may be a course leading to an additional certification)|
|ELFH XXX||Elective (TBD by student and advisor - course may be outside the College of Education and Human Development)|
EXIT ASSESSMENT CARDS 9
Students in the Ed.S. program will be required to complete an exit portfolio in their last semester of the program.
|Minimum Total Credit Hours for Ed.S.:||30|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours for Rank I*:||60|
*Completion of a Rank I program requires a minimum of 60 credit hours in approved program before 45 credit hours have been completed. For Rank I purposes, approved graduate hours at the Masters level may be counted to reach 60 credit hours, though some of those hours may not count toward certification. Students seeking Rank I simultaneously with this certification program must complete the appropriate form with the advisor. The advisor must approve electives/unnamed courses.
DEGREE PROGRAM COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- A grade point average of 3.3 in all courses counting on this program.
- Successful completion of a capstone in ELFH 782 at the completion of Level 1.
- Successful completion of a program portfolio at the end of Level 2. Information about the portfolio is found in "Guidelines for Portfolio Completion Requirement," available from your advisor.
- The Education Professional Standards Board is responsible for issuing and renewing certificates for all Kentucky teachers and administrators. Candidates for principal certification must pass both the SLLA and the KYTP. These tests may be taken during the last semester of coursework for Level 1 Principal Certification. Current information about the Kentucky assessment program may be retrieved from http://www.kyepsb.net/assessment/.
- Completion of three (3) years of full-time teaching experience.
Superintendent in Residence
Assistant Department Chair