Master of Education in Special Education with Concentration in Moderate and Severe Disabilities (P-12)
Degree Awarded: MED
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/med-se-msd
Admission to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies; Bachelors degree from an accredited institution; two letters of recommendation; minimum combined score of 800 on the Graduate Record Exam; Test of English as a Foreign Language required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language; copy of teaching certificate; and 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
Prerequisites for admission to the program:
|EDSP 540 Introduction to Exceptional Children||3|
CARDS 4 (Entry Assessment): Admission to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies; bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution; two letters of recommendation; minimum required score on the GRE of 147 Verbal and 142 Quantitative; Test of English as a Foreign Language required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language; copy of teaching certificate; and 2.75 cumulative GAP for undergraduate and 3.0 GPA for graduate work; personal statement (Ideas to Action Unit Dispositions Rubric and Ideas to Action Holistic Construct Rubric completed by Special Education Screening Committee using personal statement); signed Professional Code of Ethics/Technology User Agreement/Statement of Understanding of Admissions Guidelines.
|Inquiry (Critical Thinker) (9 credit hours)||9|
|EDSP 644* Applied Behavior Analysis|
|EDSP 639 Research Analysis in Special Education|
|EDSP 669 Single Subject Research Methods and Designs|
|Advocacy: (Professional Leader) (6 credit hours)||6|
|EDSP 652 Academic and Behavior Response to Intervention|
|EDSP 627 Applications of Assistive Technology|
|Action (Problem Solver) (3 credit hours)||3|
EDSP 635* Moderate and Severe Disabilities Practicum
CARDS 5 (Mid-Point Assessment): Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; no lower than B- in all coursework; satisfactory performance on all Hallmark Assessment Tasks to date (520, 609, 611, 644) as determined by advisor; scored exemplary or accomplished on Rubrics for Advanced Candidates (by instructor); positive recommendation from the Special Education Program Committee.
|Area of Emphasis (At least 18 credit hours)||18|
|EDSP 594* Foundational Concepts in Intellectual and Physical Disabilities|
|EDSP 520 Assessment of Students with Moderate and Severe Disabilities|
|EDSP 609* Moderate/Severe Disabilities Curriculum and Methods I|
|EDSP 611* Moderate/Severe Disabilities Methods II|
|EDSP 570 Autism: Introduction and Understanding|
|EDSP 546* Behavior Analytic Approach to Communication|
|Minimum total credit hours:||36|
CARDS 6 (Exit Assessment): Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; grade no lower than B- in all coursework; satisfactory performance on all Hallmark Assessment Tasks as determined by advisor; scored exemplary or accomplished on Rubrics for Advanced Candidates (by instructor); positive recommendation from the Special Education Program Committee.
*Course is required for certification.
1. Students who make a grade below a B- in any required course must repeat the course before being admitted to Practicum (EDSP 635).
2. Successful completion of the appropriate PRAXIS Exams is required for Moderate and Severe Disabilities teacher certification.
3. Satisfactory performance on Hallmark Assessment Tasks as determined by advisor; satisfactory performance on all additional rubrics (see CARDS 4, 5, and 6 above) as determined by advisor.
4. Minimum of 18 credit hours in 600-level courses is required.
5. Transfer credit must be official accepted by the advisor (maximum of six (6) credit hours) - final acceptance is dependent up on receipt of official transcripts.
6. A maximum of six (6) credit hours taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a Masters degree (upon approval of advisor).
7. All courses must be completed within 6 years of admission to the program.
8. To complete the program, students must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than "B-".
Teacher certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s), please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website at www.epsb.ky.gov or http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky for current requirements.
Degree Candidacy: Students not enrolled during the semester in which they intend to graduate must register for degree candidacy as outlined in the Graduate Catalog, "Academic Policies, Procedures, and Requirements".
Assistant Chair of Special Education Department
Director of Doctoral Program
Chair of Special Education Department
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Unit Effectiveness
Interim Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies