The Deptartment of Geography and Geosciences does things and stuff.
Geographers investigate the character and possible associations between a subject and its environment. The Department of Geography and Geosciences educates students to view the world in a spatial and time-dependent context to determine relationships between people and their immediate and global environment.
Bachelor of Science: The department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in four different concentrations:
- Environmental Analysis: designed for students who are interested in the environment and environmental sustainability.
- Geospatial Technologies: designed for students who are interested in developing geospatial technologies like GIS and remote sensing.
- Human and Cultural Dynamics: designed for students interested in the forces that shape human environments like population trends, sustainable development, ethnic and racial segregation, globalization and geopolitics.
- Urban Analysis: designed for students interested in the various processes that shape urban environments.
The M.S. in Applied Geography is designed to provide students with the analytical skills and background knowledge needed to solve real-world problems with geographic dimensions. Graduate students experience a nucleated body of coursework designed to foster and support the theoretical knowledge and advanced skill sets demanded for the professional and academic/research fields. Coupled with the enhanced level of course content; quantitative, qualitative and spatial data analysis applications; and the Departmental emphasis upon critical reasoning, effective writing and communication skills, graduates will be capable and prepared for effective integration into a broad diversity of professional fields.
The Department of Geography and Geosciences offers two minors:
- Minoring in Geography exposes students to the schools of thought in physical and human Geography and techniques of Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Minoring in Environmental Analysis exposes students to the physical processes associated with the environment and environmental sustainability.
Our graduates work for local, state and federal governments; environmental consulting firm;, retail businesses; and research and educational organizations. Departmental graduates also have been admitted to some of the nation’s finest graduate programs.
Visit College of Arts & Sciences Advising for assistance with your major or minor.