***This I Believe has been selected as the 2013-14 Book-in-Common, but we always welcome your suggestions for future text selection. So if you would like to suggest a book for consideration as the 2014-15 BinC and beyond, please complete the form below!
How it Works:
We are asking our students, faculty, staff, and community members to make book selections for the coming year's Book-in-Common text. We will submit the suggestions to our selection committee, made up of several faculty, staff, and student volunteers. When we meet, the committee will discuss everyone’s feedback and narrow the field to our top 3-4 texts for consideration. The committee members will all read each of the top books and re-convene in late January to make its final recommendation.
SUGGEST A BOOK:
Please read the following info about book considerations, and then use the SUGGESTION FORM to suggest a book for next year's Book-in-Common!
Among the factors we will be considering as we narrow the field and make a final choice:
- Readability: length, does the book draw the reader in (especially first year students), does it appeal to a wide audience?
- Quality of the text: Is it well written?
- Critical Thinking (i2a): Does the text promote critical thinking and discussion about diverse ways of thinking and being?
- Curricular Integration: Can courses across disciplines use the book in their classrooms?
- Out-of-Class programming: Does the book allow for ample opportunities to plan engaging programs that will help us explore and learn more about the issues in the text? Examples: Conversation Café book discussion, related films/documentaries, service projects, etc.