Help Eliminate Fire Hazards - The University of Louisville Office of the Fire Marshal is dedicated to providing a fire safe learning, living, and working environment and solicit the collective support of the entire university community.
- Cook in approved areas only and avoid leaving food unattended while cooking.
- To avoid burning food, adjust the heat to a lower temperature and use on-off timers and alarms when possible.
- Make sure cooking areas are well ventilated, and know where the closest fire extinguisher is located.
- After each use as well as more thoroughly periodically, clean away grease and food accumulations from appliances and cooking surfaces. Grease is a flammable liquid and when ignited will continue to burn until the fuel source has been exhausted or extinguished.
- If a grease or cooking fire occurs, turn the stove off, and Do Not attempt to relocate the hot pan to another burner eye or location until it has cooled.
- For oven fires, leave the burned food inside the oven compartment with the oven door closed. Remember, fire needs oxygen to sustain burning, therefore eliminate the source of oxygen as soon as possible by pacing a lid over grease pan fires or by leaving microwave and cook oven doors closed until the fire goes out and smoke subsides.
- Contact Campus Police immediately by dialing 911 to report the incident.
- Never be left unattended while in use.
- Where applicable, be unplug when not in use.
- Be maintained in good repair.
- Be Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or other recognized safety testing laboratory approved.
- Boxes, Bicycles, Furniture, etc. should not be permanently stored in hallways, stairwells, or blocking doors. These egress routes shall not be obstructed but available for use in case of fire.
- Be stored no closer than 18 inches to the ceiling or sprinkler head in sprinkled buildings; and closer than 24 inches to the ceiling in non-sprinkled buildings.
- Surplus pick-ups involving furniture and equipment need to be disposed of in accordance to University regulations. A "work order" must be submitted on-line to have discarded furniture and equipment picked up by Surplus Property. The items must be marked by identifying each item using the "Surplus". Such furniture and equipment may be position on only one side of the hallway to maintain a clear egress path to the exit doors.
- Smoking is Not Allowed on university property.
- Dispose of smoking materials properly. Do not deposit lit cigarette butts in trash cans, dumpsters, mulch beds, or on grass lawns.
Report Safety Hazards
- If you observe an unsafe practice or potential safety hazard, please contact the Office of the University Fire Marshal at (502) 852-3473 or 852-6111.