Holiday Safety Tips
- To prevent fires and conserve energy, Think Green: Before leaving each day unplug decorations, personal space heaters, coffee pots, battery chargers, desk lamps, and other non-essential energy consuming equipment.
- Avoid decorating more than 25 percent of doors and/or walls with combustible materials.
- Inspect electric cords periodically to detect frayed, pinched or damaged wire or plugs. Report damaged outlets to Physical Plant for repair. Discontinue use of all defective electrical equipment immediately.
- Decorative or scented candles with wicks intact are prohibited on campus.
- Cut Christmas trees, hay, straw and other dried vegetation are not allowed inside university buildings.
- Use electrical equipment that bears the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or an approved test laboratory label.
- Do not extend electrical power cords between door jambs or above acoustics ceiling tiles, or beneath floor carpets.
- To prevent shock, do not place electrical equipment on wet surfaces.
- Have enough light in exit hallways and stairs to allow safe passage at all times.
- Avoid wrapping stair banisters with electric lights or decorations that will prevent a firm grip by users and create possible trip hazards.
Direct questions or comments to Dwain Archer at 852-3473.