The FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool is only available for the 2018-2019 FAFSA. If you will file or have filed a 2017-2018 FAFSA, you will need to enter your 2016 federal tax data manually.
If you have filed a 2016 IRS federal income tax return: You may be eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, which is the best and easiest way to provide accurate tax information on your 2018-2019 FAFSA. With just a few simple steps, you can transfer the information from the IRS income tax return directly into your FAFSA.
Steps to complete IRS Data Retrieval
- In order to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, your IRS income tax return must be processed by the IRS.
- Log into your FAFSA and select the 2018-2019 FAFSA to update the FAFSA with your 2016 IRS income tax information.
- Choose the "Make FAFSA Corrections" link.
- Navigate to the Student and/or Parent "Financial Information" section. Dependent students: please update both student and parent financial information if needed.
- If you have filed a 2016 IRS Tax Return, select "Already Completed".
- Answer the displayed questions. If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be presented with the option to automatically transfer your 2016 tax data from the IRS to your FAFSA.
- Please follow the instructions presented on the FAFSA. You will not be able to view the actual tax return items/dollar amounts, but if the FAFSA item displays, "Transferred from the IRS", the IRS data was transferred successfully. Please contact our office if you think the transferred data may be incorrect (for example, if you filed an amended tax return or had a marital status change).
- After updating the FAFSA, continue to the "Sign and Submit" section. Sign and submit the FAFSA correction. UofL will receive the results in four to five business days if our college is listed as a school choice to receive your FAFSA information.
If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your IRS tax data to your FAFSA, you must manually update your FAFSA with your actual tax return information.
If you have been selected for verification, and you "will file" or "have filed" an IRS income tax return, you must update the FAFSA as "Already Filed" as soon as your tax return is filed with the IRS. Upon receipt of this information, our office will provide you with a verification form to complete.
If you have any questions, you can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Their customer service team is a great resource and can answer questions you may have about the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.