Instructions to Process a Split Position
Process a split position using the following steps:
- Create new position(s) and change hours/FTE on existing position.
- Submit a request for a new position with the attributes that match the existing position. (Only difference should be Hours/FTE, budget, and funding)
- A new position may have a different title, but remain in the same pay group.
- PAR Comment box: Splitting position for budgetary purposes (No exception form will be needed if the comment is present.)
- Existing Positions
- Submit a PAR to change the person current position hours/FTE, budget amount and funding.
- PAR Comment box: Splitting position for budgetary purposes.
- Position Management will approve the new positions, but the PAR for the current position will be held until the JDC’s are received by the Payroll Office.
- A future payroll date is required for this type of transaction to allow time for all parties’ to enter the data correctly.
- Submit JDC to reduce the salary on the current position (Hours/FTE change will come from PM).
- Submit JDC to hire the employee on new position.
- JDC Comment boxes: Splitting position for budgetary purposes.
- PM will approve the PAR for any existing position, new position will have been approved in Step 1.
- Payroll will enter the JDC and review the person to ensure that their current FTE does not change. If the person is truly changing their FTE in addition to the split, please indicate this in the PAR comment boxes and the JDC comment boxes.
- Benefits will receive the data update and determine that there is no change in their benefit eligibility. If there is an FTE change Benefits will determine benefit eligibility.
- Department should have the individual review their first paycheck after the change has occurred to ensure that benefits and salary are correct.