Intensive English Language Program (IESL)
Information and Application Process
Anne Griner, IESL Program Director
How to Apply
1. Application. Complete the application and return it with the required documents and the application fee to the IESL office. Documents should be originals.
2. Application fee. A $100 non-refundable application fee must be included in the form of a bank check or money order, made payable to the University of Louisville.
5. Proof of Financial Resources. If you are applying for an I-20, submit original documents or certified copies, on letterhead, from a bank or other supporting agency. Documents must be in English and amounts stated in U.S. dollars. A bank statement should be included. You must show sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses for an academic year. (See Course Information for a list of the costs of our program.) An I-20 will not be issued until all required information is received. For more information about financial commitment and amounts, please see the International Center web page.
6. Dependents. If dependents will be coming with you, complete the Dependent Information section of the application. The U.S. embassy defines dependent as wife, husband, son, and daughter. Include a copy of the passport of your dependent(s) to verify their name. Additional funds must be added to your Financial Guarantee for each person (see Course Information and/or the International Center web page for the exact amount).
7. Transfers. If you wish to transfer from another university or program, you must complete a Transfer to UofL form (PDF). This form must be completed by you and the school indicated on your I-20. If you are accepted in the IESL program, you must contact the International Center to schedule an interview before your I-20 will be issued. You cannot start the IESL program until the transfer and new I-20 are complete.
After you have submitted all required information, the Director of IESL will review your application. Allow at least ten (10) working days for your application to be reviewed. Due to the high volume of applications both received and processed, it is recommended that your complete application and all supporting materials be received early. Failure to complete any of the application will result in delays reviewing your information.
International students should not apply for a visa appointment or make travel plans until receiving a formal letter of admission from the intensive English Program and an I-20 from the International Center.
Students must start the program on the first day (as specified on line 5 of the I-20 form). Students who arrive late cannot be guaranteed a place in the Intensive English program.
Tuition must be paid in full during the first week of classes. Students with scholarships must provide the Bursar's Office with a current letter of financial guarantee the first week of the program; otherwise the student must pay all tuition and fees the first week. UofL does not offer scholarships, payment plans, or financial aid to IELP students.
If you have questions, contact our office at 502-852-5901 or email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to Other University Departments
Do your need information about Louisville?
last updated July 24, 2013