IESL Application and Admission Information
How to Apply
1. Application. To apply for IESL, complete the application and return it with your documents (listed below) and the application fee to the IESL office. Documents should be originals.
2. Application fee. A $100 non-refundable application fee must be included in the form of a bank check or money order, made payable to the University of Louisville.
3. Transcripts. Include an official transcript of your secondary school records (all three years) and any records from college or university courses. If you are currently studying in the U.S., transcripts from this school must also be provided. Documents must be in English. Diplomas are not accepted as proof of study. (A transcript is a complete record of courses taken, grades received, years attendance, and the title of any degree received. The grading system must be clearly shown on each record.) Applicants must demonstrate prior formal instruction in English on transcripts.
4. Copy of Passport. Submit a copy of the passport page with your picture and the spelling of your name.
5. Proof of Financial Resources. If you are applying for an I-20 (an F1 visa), you must show sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses for an academic year. Submit original documents or certified copies, on letterhead, from a bank or other financial agency, which proves you have a minimum of $14,000 (US) to cover your expenses. Documents must be in English and amounts stated in U.S. dollars. If from a financial agency or if you are being supported by a person in the U.S., a bank statement should be included. A bank statement is valid for one year from the date of issue. For more information about financial commitment and amounts, please see the International Center web page (www.louisville.edu/internationalcenter).
6. Dependents. If you wish to bring dependents, complete the Dependent Information page. The U.S. defines dependent as wife, husband, son, and daughter. Include a copy of the photo page of the passport of each dependent(s) to verify their name. Additional funds must be added to your Financial Guarantee for each person.
If you are currently in the U.S. and wish to transfer from another university or program, you must complete the form (PDF) on the UofL International Center web page. This form is completed by you and the school indicated on your I-20. You must be accepted by a program before your current school can electronically transfer your SEVIS record. If you are accepted by IESL, contact the International Center to ask about the Transfer-In form and the transfer process. You can fax this form to the International Center at 502-852-7216 or scan and email it to their office at email@example.com. You cannot start the IESL program until the transfer and new I-20 are complete.
After you have submitted all required information, the Director of IESL will review your application. Allow at least ten (10) working days for your application to be reviewed. The IESL curriculum is intensive and applicants' academic records must demonstrate an ability to succeed in an accelerated learning environment and meet the university's undergraduate admissions GPA requirement. Prior formal instruction in English is a prerequisite.
International students should not apply for a visa appointment or make travel plans until receiving a formal letter of admission from the Intensive English Program and an I-20 from the International Center.
Students must start the program on the first day (as specified on line 5 of the I-20 form). Students who arrive late cannot be guaranteed a place in the program.
Promotion to the next level is based on a designated level of performance on regularly scheduled quizzes and exams throughout the semester. Beginning level students should expect to complete the program in three semesters; intermediate students in two; advanced students in a single semester.
Successful completion of the Advanced Level of the IESL Program is accepted by the undergraduate admissions as proof of English proficiency. The program participates in Educational Testing Services Institutional TOEFL Program (TOEFL ITP). Director assists students with undergraduate admissions application process.
Tuition and fees must be paid in full during the first week of classes. UofL does not offer scholarships, payment plans, or financial aid to IESL students. Students on scholarships must present the necessary letter of guarantee on the first day or come prepared to pay for the tuition and other costs.
If you have any questions, call our office at 502-852-5901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .