External Fellowship Grants
The following organizations provide dissertation fellowships and small support grants that may be of interest to students in rhetoric and composition. Institutions and foundations change their priorities and programs regularly. Always verify that you are looking at the current year's program:
- Spencer Foundationawards dissertation and pre-dissertation fellowships related to education as well as small and large research grants.
- U.S. Department of Education provides fellowships to students of superior academic ability—selected on the basis of demonstrated achievement, financial need, and exceptional promise—to undertake study at the doctoral and Master of Fine Arts level in selected fields of arts, humanities, and social sciences.
- AERAoffers grants and fellowships related to education. A special minority fellowship is also available.
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundationoffers several dissertation fellowships that have ethical or religious values as a central concern; grants related to women's and gender issues; others. Includes the Wilson Fellowship and the Newcombe Fellowship.
- American Association of University Womenprovides dissertation fellowships related to women's issues.
- Social Science Research Councilprovides dissertation fellowships for students in humanities and social sciences conducting fieldwork on international topics.
- Society for Technical Communicationawards $1,000 scholarships to support training in technical communication. The society also offers research grants and other opportunities.
- The Council of Writing Program Administratorsawards research grants up to $2,000 for research on Writing Program Administration.
- National Science Foundationoffers fellowships and grants of up to $12,000 for dissertation-related research on science and technology studies.
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation offers dissertation completion fellowships and fellowships for recent doctoral recipients
- Duke University's list of research funding opportunities in Humanities and Social Sciencesfor more opportunities. Be aware that programs change regularly.