Thomas B. Byers
English Courses Recently Taught:
ENGL 574-01 Studies in U.S. Literature since 1960
ENGL 312 - 02: American Literature II (Spring, 2009)
ENGL 681 - 75: Seminar in Special Studies (Fall, 2008)
ENGL 681 – 75: Film and the Postmodern (Fall, 2007)
ENGL 202 - 02: Introduction to Creative Writing (Spring, 2007)
ENGL 692 - 75: Topics in Interpretive Theory since 1900 (Fall, 2006)
- A.B. and A.M. from Brown University
- Ph.D. from University of Iowa
- U. S. literature,film, interpretive theory
- U. S. literature, especially contemporary; film studies; theories of interpretation; the postmodern. Essays in progress on the Bourne trilogy and Brokeback Mountain. Thinking about zombies.
- Has taught at U of L since 1980. Widowed, two children. Nine-time Director of US Department of State Study of the US Institute on Contemporary American Literature. A lover of good jokes.
Honors & Awards
- University Distinguised Teaching Award (graduate)
- Red Apple Award
- College Distinguished Service Award for Service to the Community
- College Distinguished Service Award for Service to the University
- College Research Award
- Fulbright Senior Fellow and Senior Specialist
Back to the Future: The Humanist Matrix
Bartlett, Laura, and Thomas B. Byers. "Back to the Future: The Humanist Matrix." Posthumanism. Spec. issue of Cultural Critique 53 (winter, 2003): 28-46.
Byers, Thomas B. "Titanic Histories." Und das Kino geht weiter: Vergangenheit im Hollywood der Gegenwart. Spec. Issue of zeitgeschichte 29 (2002): 286-97. In German. For an English copy, e-mail me at email@example.com