Department Filing Cabinet
This page is for current faculty and staff. It contains some of the documents pertaining to departmental business such as minutes of meetings, department by-laws, policy, and the like.
- Instructions for updating course descriptions and/or employee (faculty, staff, GTA, instructor) information and a directory of website maintenance.
- Instructions on how to use Blackboard and Ulink and other training opportunities are available on the website offered through the Delphi Center for Teaching and Learning. They can also be reached via phone at (502) 852-6456.
Please find attached a 6 page syllabus template. The most useful part of this for everyone will undoubtedly be the weekly schedules - you'll find these at the end of the document - a schedule for MWF and one for TuTh - both incorporating holidays, last day for drop/add etc. For those of you eager to get going on your spring schedules there is no fancy markup coding in this - the tab and return keys should let you navigate your way.
The first couple of pages suggest some possible headings and forms of wording for various policy statements - but you are likely to have your own versions of these anyway.
The most important caveat is that there is nothing remotely prescriptive about any of this - nor are there any plans to attempt to impose some template on the dept. - the attached is offered as a service by your Undergraduate Committee. You may download, cut, paste, or simply ignore. Please do feel free to advise me of egregious errors (e.g. if the schedule shows 31 days in February), but please don't take issue with something that isn't a mandate anyway.
Last thing - under the heading 'course description and objectives' on pg 1, there is listed the course goals at each level (300, 400, 500) which the dept approved as part of the revisions to the major. Undergrad Committee will be inviting the dept to revisit SLOs in the Spring, so we have not pre-empted this discussion with lots of stuff that looks prescriptive in this section. It's simply a restatement of goals already agreed, put in this place in the document to help you as you formulate the objectives for your own particular course.
Personnel Documents and Forms
- Current Committee Assignments
- Faculty Meeting Minutes
- Department Personnel Policy (Link to Word .doc)
- Department Personnel Policy Appendix (Link to PDF.pdf)
- Department By-Laws (Link to Word .doc)
- A&S Faculty Personnel Documents
- New Instructor Handbook
- English Dept. Links (Link to Word.doc) - Reference List
- Faculty Travel Tips
Communicating within the Department
- Department Listservs
- Request a listserv for an individual class or group
- Request copies and duplications -TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE -send all requests to firstname.lastname@example.org until further notice.
- Paper Policy and Conservation Pointers
- Writing Center Report 2011-2012
- Internship Report 2010-2011
- Creative Writing Committee Report 2011-2012
- Composition Committee's Report of 2010-2011
- Personnel Committee's Report of 2010-2011
- Graduate Committee's Report of 2011-2012
- Undergraduate Committee and Director's Report of 2010-2011
- Technology Committee's Report of 2011-2012
- Diversity and Retention Committee Report of 2010-2011
- London Trip 2011 Report
- The Efiles: Teaching Resources for U of L English Courses (password protected)
- Course Syllabus Guidelines
- Class Cancellation Policy
- Course Syllabus and Schedule Template (Link to Word.doc)
- Departmental Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
- Blackboard (password protected)
- Bonnie Library
- Department Equipment Inventory
- Classroom Resources & Services
- Difficult Student Situations: Dean of Students Guidelines & Assistance