E-Files is a great way to share your assignments, syllabi, and activities, and it is a great way to find others’. It’s easy to use, too!
There are two ways to get to E-files.
1. There is a link on the instructor's resources page.
2. From here.
Searching for and submitting course documents:
When you click on the E-files link, you will be taken to E-Files’ homepage.
To search for or submit a course document, you need to click on the first link “Course Document Database.”
Clicking on “Course Document Database” will bring up a page with four options:
- Search for a sample assignment, student paper, or other document.
- Submit an assignment, student paper, or other document to the database.*
- Delete a document you have previously submitted.*
- View a list of contributors to the E-Files.
*Submit and Delete are password-protected.
Search for a sample assignment, student paper, or other document.
Click on the first link (“Search”). You will see a page that allows you to type in key words, find an instructor, or look up a specific course.
There are several ways to search for documents:
- Keyword. Type in a keyword, such as “technology” or “style.”
- Course. A drop-down box allows you to select one of the courses offered by the Composition Department (English 101, English 102, English 303, et cetera).
- Document Type. A drop-down box allows you to select a type of document (Assignment—Argumentative Paper, Discussion Materials, Invention Strategies, et cetera).
- Instructor. A drop-down box allows you to select documents submitted by a specific teacher.
- Date Submitted. Type in a beginning date and an ending date to select documents submitted between that time frame.
- You may narrow down your search by combining the five options above.
The search function allows you to browse course documents that have been submitted by teachers. Many of the documents require that you have Microsoft Word installed on your computer; however, some documents are saved in Rich Text Format, as a Web Page, as PowerPoint, or as a GIF- or JPG-image.
Submit an assignment, student paper, or other document to the database.
Click on the second link (“Submit”). You will be asked for your user name and password. This should be the user name and password you use for ULink or Groupwise. If you are unable to log in, the English Department secretary should be able to direct you to someone who can help.
Once you have logged in, submitting a document is easy!
To submit your document, you must fill out the form shown when you log in.
- Course. Using the drop-down menu, select the course your document is appropriate for.
- Document Title. Type in a title for your document (optional), such as “Literacy Narrative.”
- Document Type. Using the drop-down menu, select a type of document that best describes what you are submitting.
- Description of Document. Type in a description of your document (optional). For example, “This literacy narrative specifically asks students to explore their literacy learning in relation to technology.”
- Additional Comments. Type in additional comments (optional). For example, “I used this literacy narrative as the first assignment for the course, but it would also work well as the last assignment.”
- Submit Anonymously. To submit your document anonymously, click the box to the left.
- File Format. Using the drop-down menu, select the format of your file. You may choose between the following formats:
- Rich Text Format
- MS Word
- GIF Image
- JPG Image
- HTML document on the WWW
- File to Upload. If you are submitting any file except a web page, click “Browse,” select the file you want to upload, and click “open.”.
- Web Page to Link To. If you are submitting a web page, type in the URL.
- Click the “Submit” button in the bottom left corner of the page.
Once you complete these steps, you have submitted your document to E-Files!
Delete a document you have previously submitted.
Deleting is also easy! If you want to delete one of the documents you have submitted, you log in just as you do when submitting a document. Then, you click on the third link (“Delete”) and follow the instructions on that page.