Are you planning to retire from UofL?
This page provides you with information on UofL's email policy for retirees. Your UofL email account will close after you leave the university. However, you will be eligible to set up an email forwarding service to keep receiving new email sent to your UofL address. Please review the process below. Then read about the email forwarding service that you can set up after your last day at UofL.
Email transition process
- Clean up your email account before it closes. This will help ensure you have forwarded all the important email you need, as you will not have access to your current email after your employment ends.
- Save all important files onto CDs or other secure media, or transfer the files to a non-UofL computer.
- Go to http://password.louisville.edu and set your Password Recovery Questions. This will allow you to change your password if you forget it in the future. You may continue to access ULink and change your email forwarding service as needed, request transcripts, view your paychecks, etc.
- Make a list of your important contacts in your email address book.
- Sign up for the university retiree directory. You will be given directions on how to do this when you sign up for the email forwarding service. (See directions below.)
- If you choose not to use UofL's email forwarding service, inform your friends and business associates of your personal email address.
What happens next
The University of Louisville does not provide Exchange (Outlook) accounts for employees who retire. This means your UofL email account will close on the first day of your retirement.
Retiring employees who are also students will retain their CardMail accounts and will not be able to use the forwarding service. However, email can be forwarded from within the CardMail account.
Once your account closes, you have two options:
- If you want to continue receiving email sent to your @louisville.edu email address after you retire, you will need to sign up for UofL’s email forwarding service. Click the following link for directions on how to sign up.
Information Technology has an opt-in online directory for those who select the forwarding service. If you opt in to the directory, your name will be added to an online directory of UofL retirees.
- If you have a business-related reason for maintaining an Exchange account, your unit may request a sponsored account for you. Sponsored accounts may be requested online (log in required) by a Tier I support staff or unit business manager. This requires approval by a vice president, dean, department chair or supervisor. Sponsored accounts have a mailbox limit of 200MB.
Want to keep receiving UofL Today?
To keep receiving UofL Today after your retirement, subscribe to the ULT_RETIRESS listserv. Click the following link to go to the online subscription page. Enter your name and email address, then scroll to the bottom and click Join ULT_RETIREES. You will receive a notice in your email inbox asking you to click a link to confirm your subscription. Be sure to take this action to continue receiving UofL Today.