Veterans Interested in Teaching

Veterans who are interested in teaching in Kentucky through the Troops to Teachers program are welcome to contact that office directly. There are helpful FAQ's.

Troops to Teachers (TTT) is a federally funded program designed to assist eligible military personnel to become teachers in high need public schools, grades K-12. The program helps relieve teacher shortages and assists military personnel in making successful transitions to second careers in teaching. Funding and requirements are based on federal guidelines.

The College of Education and Human Development can assist veterans in obtaining teacher certification through a variety of routes. Please see below.

Routes to Teacher Certification

then you would apply for the Master of Education in Teacher Leadership. All teachers in Kentucky must complete a Master’s degree to keep their teaching license. This is the approved Rank II completion program offered by the College of Education and Human Development.

and have a major in any of the following content areas: English, History (for Social Studies), Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish, French, or Business, then;
you have met the course requirements for application to the alternative certification program. This program allows qualified candidates the opportunity to work in paid full-time teaching positions with temporary certification status in high-need areas while earning Kentucky Teacher Certification, and a Master of Arts in Teaching within a 2-3 year period.

Prior to Application...

The following criteria must be met:

  • minimum passing scores on the PRAXIS II content test in the subject area (your degree major) are required before April 15th;
  • have an undergraduate/graduate GPA of 2.75 from an accredited institution;
  • obtain minimum passing test scores on an approved exam for admission to teacher certification.

please do the following:

  • submit transcripts for review to Betty Hampton to determine what subject area(s) you are most eligible to teach and meet certification requirements;
  • indicate which subject areas you are most interested in teaching;
  • Betty will contact you by phone or e-mail to indicate if you need additional courses (prerequisites) in order to be eligible for alternative certification. All but six hours must be completed by April 15th to enter the alternative certification program.

the bachelor's degree in Organizational Leadership and Learning could be your fast track to a bachelor's degree and the Master of Arts in Teaching alternative certification program...

Areas of Certification

  • Middle grades (5-9): Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science;
  • Secondary grades (8-12): English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Earth and Space Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics;
  • Business Marketing (5-12);
  • Spanish (P-12);
  • French (p-12)
Shaun McIntosh

The application and admission process varies depending on the program for which you are applying.

Master of Education in Teacher Leadership (for those with Alternative Certification through Troops to Teachers)

Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership and Learning (for those who must first earn a Bachelor’s degree – before applying to the Master of Arts in Teaching program)

Master of Arts in Teaching Alternative Certification program (for those with a Bachelor’s degree and seeking teacher certification)

Contact Us

Candidates considering application to the Alternative Certification program should contact the Education Advising and Student Services Office for more information at 502-852-5597 or

Department Contact

Jan Calvert
Coordinator for the Alternative Certification Program
College of Education and Human Development
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Office: 502.852.8053

Career Pathways Certification

Graduates of the Master of Arts in Teaching program qualify for certification to teach in Kentucky. Some states have reciprocity agreements allowing students to be certified there upon presentation of a Kentucky teaching certificate (some may require additional courses).

General Information

For general information on financial aid resources, please visit the University of Louisville's Student Financial Aid office. The College of Education and Human Development has it's own web page dedicated to financial aid that contains some extra information not listed here.

When considering the cost of higher education, please consider the following items:

Awards can be combined with institutional aid up to the University's total direct cost of attendance. Direct costs include tuition, room, board, and books. The University of Louisville is required to adhere to all federal, state, and institutional guidelines. Policy information is available on-line at UofL's Student Financial Aid office.

College of Education & Human Development (CEHD) Scholarship

The CEHD has a long history of offering scholarships to prospective and current students pursuing an education degree program. Scholarship selection is competitive and applies to tuition only. Apply online for a CEHD Scholarship before the deadline (March 1st, June 1st and/or October 1st). Applicants should expect notification in four to five weeks after the posted deadline.

How do I apply to the Alternative Certification Program?

Please see the "How to Apply" tab for specific admission requirements, application deadline, and related information. Applicants are encouraged to contact an MAT admissions counselor ( before they apply.

How long does it take to complete the alternative certification program?

Most students complete the program in 2 years. Time of completion can depend on the number of prerequisite courses needed to finish.

Where are courses being delivered?

Currently, all courses are being held at UofL.

Will this program lead to teacher certification?

Yes, upon completion of the program, you will have Kentucky Teacher Certification, and a Master of Arts in Teaching degree.

Does Kentucky have full reciprocity regarding teaching certification? Will a Kentucky teaching certificate transfer to other states?

Reciprocity is a term often used when educators need to transfer their certification from one state to another. This does not mean, however, that a state with “reciprocity” will automatically grant the same certification as was held in another state, since each state has its own special requirements. Kentucky is part of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement*; therefore, the state accepts recommendations from teacher preparation programs from state-accredited colleges and universities in many states. Cases are evaluated on an individual basis. In general, Kentucky does not recognize certificates which have been granted by testing only.

*The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement aids candidates in gaining information on what the various requirements are from state-to-state. It may be viewed at: