Disciplinary (Conduct) Records Check
The Dean of Students Office frequently receives requests for disciplinary (conduct) records checks for current and former University of Louisville students for the following purposes:
- Transfer to another institution
- Law/medical school admission
- Background check for employment (e.g. federal or religious institution)
- Study abroad
- Admission to the bar (by state)
The disciplinary (conduct) records check verifies that the individual, as a current or former student, has or has not violated the Code of Student Conduct or Student Sexual Misconduct Policy. If there has been a violation, however, the DOS Office will state whether there were any sanctions, if the sanctions were completed, and whether the individual is currently in good disciplinary standing with the university. Depending on the nature of the release form from the third party entity, additional information regarding conduct-related disciplinary actions or proceedings may be shared.
The institution or agency to which the current or former student is applying typically provides a disciplinary clearance form that includes a privacy waiver and requires completion by a university administrator. If no such form is provided, the DOS Office will request that the individual complete a privacy waiver form and will then submit a brief statement of conduct history to the requesting institution or agency. In the case of the Common Application Form, the Registrar’s Office will complete the portion on academic integrity in cooperation with the DOS Office.
The following steps outline the process for submitting and completing disciplinary clearance forms:
- Read the form carefully. Fill in your personal information, including signing the privacy waiver. If the form does not ask for your university ID number, then provide that information to the DOS Office.
- Provide the email address or fax number of the individual or office that you would like to receive the completed form. (Completed forms will not be returned directly to you following processing.) If the form is to be mailed, then provide a stamped addressed envelope.
- Submit the form to the DOS Office in one of the following ways:
- Bring the form to the office in the Student Activities Center, Suite W301.
- Mail the form to:
Dean of Students Office
Student Activities Center, Suite W301
University of Louisville
2100 S. Floyd St.
Louisville, KY 40292
- Scan and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax the form to 502.852.1429.
- The DOS Office will only answer questions regarding conduct records. If there are questions referencing academic integrity on a form other than the Common Application Form, the requesting institution will be directed to the Registrar’s Office.
- Allow at least 5-7 business days to process.
The following steps outline the process for a disciplinary records check when no form is provided:
- Send a request for a disciplinary (conduct) records check by email or letter to the appropriate address listed above. Include your full name and university ID number.
- Include the signed privacy waiver form to release your conduct records.
- Provide the email address or fax number of the individual or office that you would like to receive the disciplinary records check. (The records check will not be returned directly to you following processing.) If the letter is to be mailed, then provide a stamped addressed envelope.
- Allow 5-7 business days to process.
If you have questions about this process, please call the Dean of Students Office at 502.852.5787 or send an email to email@example.com.