Louis W. and Louise Weisser Bornwasser Student Emergency Fund Request Form
The Louis and Louise W. Weisser Bornwasser Student Emergency Fund was created to assist University of Louisville students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic events which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at UofL. These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a consistent supplement to a student’s education funding sources. Requests must be urgent in nature. These funds are not meant for financial need, an event or unforeseeable circumstance must be the cause of the loss of funds in order to be eligible for student emergency funds.
Our goal is to help students during a time of need stay in school and make progress towards a degree. Priority will be given to students whose tenure at UofL may be at risk because of unexpected expenses.
This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid.
Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources.
The number of students who can be served by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund must be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, students, staff and friends of the University. The Student Emergency Fund is University wide initiative and coordinated as a joint venture between the Division of Student Affairs, the Financial Aid Office and University Advancement.
APPLICATION FORM IS AVAILABLE BELOW
Types of Expenses Generally Covered
Including but not limited to:
- Medications and other costs related to medical care
- Books and other essential academic expenses
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Assistance with replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
- Assistance with rent, utilities, food and other essential household expenses
Expenses Generally NOT Covered
Including but not limited to:
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets and other fines.
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
- Expenses that could be anticipated and other non emergency related expenses.
- Expenditures resulting from poor financial management.
- Applicants should be currently enrolled and be in good standing at the University of Louisville during the term when the emergency funds would be applied.
- Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unplanned event.
- Be able to demonstrate his/her current financial need with supporting documentation
- All other resources, including Student Financial Aid must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
- Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation
- Generally a maximum of two (2) awards will be made to any one student during all combined enrollments at UofL.
Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance may submit
an on line application and supporting documentation or submit a paper
form and supporting documentation to the Dean of Students Office.
Funds will be distributed within an average range of $50 to $300 per request.
Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member to discuss their application.
All emergency fund awards will be added to the students University account for disbursement – please note:
- If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Emergency Fund may affect your financial aid packages.
- Any unpaid balance on the students university account will deducted from any monies awarded through the Student Emergency Fund program.