Are you looking for service hours or an opportunity to volunteer?
Become a volunteer note taker!
The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is recruiting student volunteers to participate in our volunteer note taking program. Students may earn service hours by sharing their notes with students with disabilities that are in their classes. By partnering with other departments, groups, and organizations on campus that promote experiential learning and/or require service hours, we hope to attract students who are actively looking for the experiences we have to offer.
Through note taking training, students will learn to exercise accuracy, clarity, and relevance throughout their undergraduate career. Students can then take that training and assist students with disabilities in their own classes by sharing their notes.
Students with disabilities are an important subgroup of our campus culture. Through disability awareness training, volunteers can gain information about student subgroups that are different than their own. With this information, they can challenge their own assumptions about individuals with disabilities and change their point of view.
Become A Note Taker
In order to become a note taker, students must complete the following steps:
- Express your interest in being a note taker. Do this by:
- Submitting your class schedule in advance (only for the courses for which you are willing to take notes),
- Responding to an email from the Note Taker Coordinator, or
- Responding to an in-class announcement.
- Read the Note Taker Handbook
- Study the Note Taker Training presentation
- Take the Note Taker Policies and Procedures Quiz
- If you answer fewer questions correctly than is required, you must have a brief training session with the Note Taker Coordinator to be eligible to participate.
Service Hour Breakdown
Students participating in the program may receive a certificate noting specific involvement and hours earned. Volunteers may receive 5 additional service hours for completing the online note taker training and quiz. To receive hours for in-class note taking, the volunteer must be enrolled in the same course and section as a student with a disability who is requesting accommodations. Volunteers can receive 5 services hours per class credit.
5 Service Hours for Training
+ ENGL 101 at 3 credit hours x 5 hours per course credit
+ HIST 101 at 3 credit hours x 5 hours per course credit
= 35 Service Hours
Contact Note Taker Coordinator, Autumn Reed, at the Disability Resource Center by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at: (502) 852-1779.
Need Adobe Reader to read the PDF linked on this page? Download Adobe Reader.