Name: Zafrulla Khan, DDS, MS.
Title: Professor, Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Associate, Departments of Medicine & Radiation Oncology, School Of Medicine
Current Position: Director, Maxillofacial/Oncologic Dentistry, J. G. Brown Cancer Center
Dr. Khan is a Diplomate of the American Board of
Prosthodontics, Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontics and American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics.
He recieved his Dental Degree from Bangalore University, India and Masters in Oral Biology from University of Louisville.
Completed Residency in Prosthodontics at State University of New York at Buffalo, NY.and Fellowship in Maxillofacial Prosthetics and Dental Oncology from University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
Currently he is Director of Maxillofacial/Oncologic Dentistry at University of Louisville, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Louisville, Kentucky.
He is Professor of Prosthodontics at School of Dentistry and Associate in Departments of Medicine, Radiation Oncology, School of Medicine and Graduate School, University of Louisville.
He is also an Adjunct Professor at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA.
Visiting Professor KGF College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, R.G. University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, India
His previous appointments included Director of Post graduate Prosthodontics and Chairman, Department of Prosthodontics at the Dental School.
He holds Active Medical Staff appointments at multiple Hospitals in Louisville, KY and is a Consultant to VA Medical Center and member of Cancer Committees. Editorial Review Board member- Implant Dentistry, Williams & Wilkins - 1989-97; Peer Review Editor - Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 2005-Present
He is an Invited Speaker at many Local, National and International Meetings. He has received various Honors and Induction in Scientific Honor Societies.
Dr. Khan is active in multiple Professional, Research and Specialty Organizations; currently he is the Consultant of Materials and Devices and International Committee of the American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics.
Faculty Practice Location
Maxillofacial/Oncologic Dentistry, J.G. Brown Cancer Center
Suite 125, 529 S. Jackson Street, Louisville, KY 40202
Research Interests and Current Projects
Dr. Khan has published many scientific articles in various Dental and Medical Journals. He has received over three million dollars in Grants and Contracts for Research from National Institute of Health, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Industry and Universities. Currently he is the Principal Investigator of two Clinical Studies sponsored by Pharmaceutical companies in the area of head and neck radiation and oral cancer.
Maxillofacial Prosthodontics Rotation - 4th year DMD students; Otolaryngology residents, Radiation Oncology Residents, Medical Oncology Residents, Plastic Surgery Residents and 2nd year Dental Hygiene students
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kentucky - Consultant, Maxillofacial Prosthodontics.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky Cabinet for Health & Human Services, Commission for Children with Special Health Care Needs – Consultant
- American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics, Material and Devices Committee and International Committee – Consultant
- University of Louisville, Grievance Committee – Member
- Dental School, Faculty Personal Committee – Member
- Brown Cancer Center, Cancer Committee – Member
- V A Medical Center, Cancer Committee – Member
- Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Scientific Program Committee - Member
- American Board of Prosthodontics - Diplomate
- International Association of Dental Research, Member
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer-Member
- American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics - Member
- University of Texas M.D. Anderson Associates- Member
- American Association of Dental Research - Member
- American Dental Association - Member
- Southwest Oncology Group - Member
- American College of Prosthodontists - Fellow
- American College of International Physicians – Member
- American College of Dentists – Fellow
Honors and Awards
- Phi Delta Prosthodontic Fraterny
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Fellow, American College of Prosthodontics
- Fellow, American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthodontists
- Sigma Xi Honorary Fraternity
Ms. Camika Barlow - 502-852-5747
- Sonfi Aventis- Phase III randomized trial of concomitant radiation cisplatin and tirapazamine (SR259075) versus concomitant radiation and cisplatin in patients with advanced head-and neck cancer. Sub-Principal Investigator, $240,000.00 - February 2006
- Amgen - Phase 3 randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study to evaluate the efficiency and safety of weekly does of Palifermin (RHukgf) for the reduction of oral mucositis in subjects with advanced head and neck cancer receiving radiotherapy with concurrent chemotherapy. Principal investigator, $199,854.20, Apri1 2006
- Novratis – Osteonecrosis of the jaws following bisphosphonate therapy, Co-Principal Investigator - $124,175 – August, 2006
- Serenex – A Phase 2 Randomized, Double-masked, placebo controlled study to evaluate the efficiency of SNX-1012 in reducing the duration and severity of ulcerative oral mucositis in patients receiving cytotoxic chemotherapy for colorectal and breast cancer. Co-Principal Investigator, $30,000 – December 2006
- SciClone Phamaceutical – A phase II, multi-center, randomized, double blind placebo controlled dose ranging study to assess the safety of SCV-07 for the delay to onset of severe oral mucositis in patiens receiving chemoradiation therapy for the treatment of cancers of the head and neck. Principal Investigator, $42, 279 – October, 2008
- Textbook chapter, Seminars on Maxillofacial Imaging & Interpretation, Chapter 16, Panoramic Radiology: Oncologic Dentistry Considerations; Springer Publication, October 2006
- Textbook Chapter, Pretreatment and Post-treatment Dental Considerations in Head and Neck Oncology, Petruzelli, Practical Head and Neck Oncology; Plural Publications, September, 2008.
- Kiat Amnuay S, Gettleman L, Trako M, Khan Z, Goldsmith J; The Influence of Water Storage on Durometer Hardness of Five Soft Denture Liners over Time, Journal of Prosthodontics, - Vol. 14, No. 1 Pps. 19-24, March 2005.
- Farman, Alan, Khan Z: Panoramic Radiology, Oncologic Dentistry Considerations, Panoramic Imaging News, Vol., #2 April/May-2005.
- Bhupalum L, Spanos W, Jose B, Handler F, Bumpus J, Flynn M, Goldsmith L, Khan Z, Paris K, Lobev D: Concurrent Paclitaxed Carbgolatin and Radiotherapy followed by ehcnmotherapy on surgery in advanced head and neck cancers, Head and Neck, September 2005 (submitted).
- Prosthodontist role in Head and Neck Cancer – An introduction to Oncologic Dentistry, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, Vol. 6, Issue 1:4-9 – July 2006 Khan Z. Invited Author.
- Beckstrom BW, Horsley SH, Scheetz J., Khan Z., Silvera AM, Clark SJ, Greenwell H, Farman AG: Correlation between carotid area calcifications and periodontitis – a retrospective study of digital panoramic radiographic findings in pretreatment cancer patients, Journal of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, Vol. 103, #3:359-366 – March 2007.
- Horsley SH, Beckstrom BW, Clark SJ, Scheetz JP, Khan Z, Farman GG: Prevalence of carotid and pulp calcifications: a correlation using digital panoramic radiographs. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol 4:9-173, November, 2008.
- Khan Z, Wells A, Scharfe W, Farman A: Conebeam CT isolation of calcifications in the maxillofacial and cervical soft tissues – A retrospective analysis. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol 3:221-222, June, 2008.