Athanasios (Thanos) Ntounis
Name: Athanasios Ntounis DDS, MS
Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology
Title and Current Position: Assistant Professor
Fax: (502) 852-1317
Dr. Ntounis is a dual specialist in the fields of Prosthodontics and Periodontics. He received his DDS from the University of Athens Dental School in Athens, Greece in 2005. He went on to complete a Prosthodontics residency and a Masters Degree from the same institution (2006-2009). Dr. Ntounis completed his Periodontics residency at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and the Birmingham Veterans Affairs Hospital (2010-2013). After being awarded a fellowship from the UAB Graduate School, he completed a Masters Degree in Clinical Dentistry, researching the effect of growth factors on ridge preservation. Dr. Ntounis has published several peer-reviewed papers in the field of implant dentistry, the periodontal-prosthetic interface and healing of human extraction sockets. He currently serves as an Assistant Professor in the Dept. Of Oral Health and Rehabilitation at the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and maintains a faculty practice limited to periodontics and implant dentistry.
Faculty Practice Location:
University of Louisville Dental Associates
401 E Chestnut St
Research Interests and Current Projects:
His research interests include periodontal plastic surgery, hard and soft tissue regeneration, peri-implant tissue development, peri-implant disease as well as the periodontal-systemic interface.
- Clinical tutoring in the University of Louisville School of Dentistry Comprehensive care clinic.
- Course Director of Advanced Periodontics Elective course for Junior Dental Students.
- Lecturing faculty for the Perio-Prosthetic Seminar for Periodontics and Prosthodontics residents.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Graduate School Fellowship 2011-2013.
- Papadakis Endowment Scholarship (2010-2013), National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- American Academy of Periodontology (AAP).
- Academy of Osseointegration (AO).
- International Team for Implantology (ITI).
Support Staff: Ms. Connie Rough (502)852-1213
Publications (last 5 years)
- Ntounis A, Geurs N, Vassilopoulos P, Reddy M. Using Growth Factors In Human Extraction Sockets. A Histologic and Histomorphometric Study. Accepted for publication. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. October 2013.
- Geurs N, Ntounis A, Vassilopoulos P, Reddy M. Subjective Assessment Of Bone Quality Associated With Histologic Results In Human Extraction Sockets After Conversion With Growth Factors. Accepted for publication. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. Dec 2013.
- DPTT study group, Engebretson S, Gelato M, Hyman L, Michalowicz BS, Schoenfeld E. Design features of the Diabetes and Periodontal Therapy Trial (DPTT): A multicenter randomized single-masked clinical trial testing the effect of nonsurgical periodontal therapy on glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels in subjects with type 2 diabetes and chronic periodontitis. Contemp Clin Trials. 2013 Nov;36(2):515-26
- Pelekanos S, Ntounis A, Jovanovic SA, Euwe E. Definitive Abutment-Driven Stage-Two Surgery as a Means to Reduce Peri-implant Soft Tissue Changes:Introduction of a New Concept. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2013 Mar;33(2):193-200.
- Ntounis A, Patras M, Pelekanos S, Polyzois G. Treatment of Hemi-Mandibulectomy Defect with Implant-Supported Telescopic Removable Prosthesis. A Clinical Report. J Prosthodont. 2013 Feb 6.[Epub ahead of print].
- Patras M, Ntounis A, Karousis I, Karagiannis Ath. Immediate Loading in the posterior areas of Maxilla and Mandible. A Case report and Literature review. Odontostomatological Progress 2012; 66(2):355-369. Article in Greek.
- Ntounis A, Nguyen M, Pelekanos S, O’Neal JS, Liu P. Screw- Versus Cement-Retained Restorations for Provisionalization of Implants. Clinical Advances in Periodontics August 2012, Vol. 2, No. 3: 200-216.
- Divaris K, Ntounis A, Marinis A, Polyzois GL, Polychronopoulou A. Patient profile and their perceptions of complete dentures in a University dental clinic. Int J Prosthodont. 2012 Mar-Apr;25(2):145-7.
- Divaris K, Ntounis A, Marinis A, Polyzois GL, Polychronopoulou A. Loss of natural dentition: multi-level effects among a geriatric population. Gerodontology. 2012 Jun;29(2):e192-9. Epub 2010 Nov 17.
- Ntounis A, Petropoulou Aik. “A technique for managing and accurate registration of per-iimplant soft tissues”. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Oct;104(4):276-9.
- Ntounis A, Pelekanos St. “Custom Copings for Accurate Impressions of Multiple Internal Connection Implants”. Implant Dent. 2010 Oct;19(5):365-9.
- Divaris K, Barlow PJ, Chendea SA, Cheong WS, Ntounis A, Dragan IF, Hamlin J, Hosseinzadeh L, Kuin D, Mitrirattanakul S, Mo'nes M, Molnar N, Perryer G, Pickup J, Raval N, Shanahan D, Songpaisan Y, Taneva E, Yaghoub-Zadeh S, West K, Vrazic D. The academic environment: the students' perspective. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008 Feb;12 Suppl 1:120-30.