LSAMP (STEM) Program
The Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program is a National Science Foundation initiative aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of students successfully completing science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) baccalaureate degree programs, and increasing the number of students interested in, academically qualified for and matriculated into programs of graduate study. LSAMP supports sustained and comprehensive approaches that facilitate achievement of the long-term goal of increasing the number of students who earn doctorates in STEM fields, particularly those from populations underrepresented in STEM fields.
As part of the KY-WV alliance, the University of Louisville has developed a program consistent with LSAMP goals. The program is administered through a collaboration between the Cultural Center and Health Science Campus Office of Diversity & Inclusion. The mission of the program is to help diversity the science, technology, engineering and mathematics industries through efforts aimed at increasing the number of students earning baccalaureate degrees in these disciples. Program activities and resources focus on outreach, academic support, peer connections, undergraduate research experience, research presentation and conference attendance opportunities. All majors in a STEM discipline are eligible to participate in the program.
- Receive up to a $900 stipend each year
- Access to conference and travel funding
- Supplemental instruction or tutoring
- KY-WV Annual Research Symposium attendance
- Personal coaching from program staff and mentors
- Access to personal and professional development workshops
- Networking opportunities with STEM faculty and staff
- Industry & facility tours in the Louisville area
LSAMP KEY FOCUS AREAS
- Recruitment and retention
- Research and experience
- Transitional experiencees
- Campus climate
- Curriculum reform
- Post graduate career aspirations
- Role modeling
Leondra Gully, M.Ed
V. Faye Jones, M.D., Ph.D., M.S.P.H.
Business Partner II