- Create a “Strategy to Optimize Success” (SOS) for junior faculty through scientific mentoring and career development mentoring. We will support three junior faculty for up to two years for 75% protected time, research support, and tuition to receive an interdisciplinary MS degree (I-MS), MSc degree or certificate through the CREST program and to complete a research project that will lead to preliminary data for a full grant submission to further develop their research careers.
- Enhance our cadre of senior mentors in critical areas to advance the careers of mentees and to advance critical programs at UofL and collaborating institutions. We will support our mentees with teams of mentors (led by a senior clinician and a senior translational scientist) to provide counsel in specific areas of expertise.
- Team with the Pilot Projects Program Core to provide mentors for pilot project PIs. Ultimately, we will team with all UofL COBRE/INBRE entities to provide mentors for pilot projects as needed. We will provide mentors for all pilot project PIs supported by this grant. We will partner with the other IDeA programs and other University programs providing pilot support at UofL, and we will provide mentoring for those pilot project PIs as needed.
- Team with UofL cores and COBREs/INBRE to train faculty in state-of-the-art techniques. Faculty at UofL will have access to training programs provided by COBREs and the INBRE grants. Further, UofL Cores provide training in state-of-the-art techniques, and investigators will be encouraged to participate in that training.
- Clinical Research, Epidemiology and Statistics Training Program (CREST)
- Graduate Masters Degree Certificates (MSPH—now an MSc)
Responsible for the professional development core and role model for physician scientists.
Oversees didactic training for scholars.
Oversees career development efforts for SOS scholars and organizes the yearly mock study section.