How to Refer a Distressed Student to the Counseling Center
- Suggest that the student call or come in to make an appointment. Give the Counseling Center telephone number and location at that time.
- If you wish to assist the student directly, call the receptionist at the Counseling Center while the student is in your office in order to assure that an appointment is made. Write down the appointment information (date, time, counselor, and location) for the student.
- If the situation is an emergency, follow #2 above, but state that "the student needs an appointment immediately."
- Sometimes it is useful or necessary for you to walk the student over to the Counseling Center.
- If you are concerned about a student but are uncertain about the appropriateness of a referral, feel free to call the Counseling Center at 852-6585 for a consultation.