Guidelines for Interacting with a Distressed Student
- Talk to the student in private.
- Listen carefully.
- Show concern and interest.
- Repeat back the essence of what the student has told you.
- Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.
- Consider the Counseling Center as a resource and discuss the referral with the student.
- If the student resists help and you are worried, contact the Counseling Center to discuss your concerns.
- Involve yourself only as far as you want to go. Extending yourself can be a gratifying experience when kept within realistic limits.