The following are the steps to follow when the University is acquiring property through purchase or donation.
- Contact the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs (AVPBA) Office regarding the purchase or donation of property (852-5155).
- AVPBA Office obtains the following appropriate approvals prior to acquisition:
Kentucky Finance Cabinet Secretary
University of Louisville Foundation Board
University of Louisville Board of Trustees
Capital Projects Committee - Kentucky State Legislature
- AVPBA Office obtains or arranges for at least two (2) independent appraisals. Appraisers must be selected from the Commonwealth of Kentucky’s approved appraisers list.
- The AVPBA and other interested parties review the appraisals to determine the appropriate value for the property.
- AVPBA Office schedules a "walk-through" inspection of the property which includes the following units:
Department of Public Safety
Insurance and Risk Management
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
- Department of Environmental Health and Safety provides an Environmental Assessment of the property.
- Working with the Realtor, the AVPBA Office arranges for closing on the property
- Insurance and Risk Management notifies the University’s insurance carrier regarding the property acquisition.
- The AVPBA Office facilitates the required property closing activities.
- The AVPBA Office coordinates the needed activities of both internal and external agencies regarding property use, i.e., Physical Plant, Utility Companies, etc.