Central High School
Central High School
1130 West Chestnut Street
Louisville, KY 40203
Serves students in the 9th thru 12th grade and offers a precollege curriculum in four distinct areas: Business, Law and Government, Computer Technology, and Medicine.
Partnership programs include:
- Dual credit programs in Law and Humanities - In partnership with the Brandeis School of Law and the College of Arts and Sciences, magnet programs in Government and Law and Humanities were introduced. College credits are received in Pre-Law and Humanities courses.
- Magnet program in Law & Government - This program brings faculty and students from the School of Law to work with students at Central High School, introducing them to the legal profession. UofL faculty and students teach various topics about law and host Central students on campus to hear guest speakers in the legal profession. Participation in the Moot Court Competition with assistance from UofL is done annually. 2011 saw CHS win both 1st and 2nd place in the competition.
- Student field placements - Students from education, nursing, music education, & social work are placed in the school for observation and provide assistance to teachers as necessary. Students provide assistance to teachers and school administrators in the classroom as well as develop programs for students. Music students are providing assistance with the band, chorus, and orchestra.
- Preparing Leaders for the Education, Social, and Economic Progress of the Region - Goal is for students participating in the program to develop the interest and skills to attend college and ultimately professional school; ideally, these individuals would eventually be leaders in the Metro Louisville community and their professional fields.
- Dental Assistance Program - In collaboration with the School of Dentistry, some 90 students participate in Rotation through the School of Dentistry, where they interact with faculty and students to learn more about the field of dentistry.
- Upward Bound - Program is designed to prepare students in College Readiness. This is not an in-school program but one that hosts students for after school, weekend, and summer academic enrichment programs including ACT prep and tutorials.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens - This is designed to introduce students to a social enrichment program to enhance both their personal and academic experiences and develop positive life skills. The 7 habits are: Be proactive; Begin with an end in mind; Put first things first; Think win/win; Seek first to understand, then be understood; Synergize; and Sharpen the saw.
- Banking and Finance Magnet - This program is a partnership with the College of Business. Central High students participate in the CPA Career Day as part of this program. The Business Magnet Program is being enhanced with the assistance of Dr. Bruce Kemelgor from the College of Business.
Programs in which the University of Louisville was previously involved
- ACT Preparation Program - Purpose is to provide students with an intensive review in Math and English focused on skills tested by the ACT College entrance exam and to improve students' ACT scores to a level that will qualify them for competitive colleges and make them eligible for scholarships.
For more information about the school, contact:
Dr. Dan Withers, Principal