In 1997, the Kentucky General Assembly approved...
Read more about the history of The Challenge.
- Achieve classification as a Carnegie Research I university
- Have a national reputation for its quality undergraduate program
- Have at least 20 nationally recognized research and graduate/professional programs
- Attain designation as a National Institutes of Health Cancer Center
- Have 75 endowed chairs and professorships in key fields
- Graduate at least 140 doctoral students per year
- Increase federal research funding to more than $40 million annually and increase total sponsored funding to $80 million per year
- Increase endowment from $255 million to $500 million
- Increase significantly the number of business start-ups that develop from university research activity
- Increase the number of patents and licenses based upon university research
- Be recognized as a national leader for linking its resources to the needs of its community