Academic Publication at UofL
How Is Academic Publication Managed at U of L?
Subvention of academic publication in the College of Arts and Sciences at UofL is administered by the Commonwealth Center of the Humanities & Society and its Advisory Board and is supported by the College of Arts & Sciences. Funds are limited and are available on a rolling basis each academic year until they are depleted. Requests for more than $500 require approval of the Advisory board.
These funds directly support legitimate costs for publication of refereed and accepted scholarly books and journal articles, which may include page charges, book subvention, costs for illustrations and/or permissions, etc., in cases where such costs are the author's responsibility.
What publication activity do these funds support?
- Refereed manuscripts accepted for publication by other reputable academic outlets that may require UofL subvention for all or part of the costs of publication, e.g., costs for indexing, permissions, illustrations, etc.
- Partial or complete subvention of manuscripts which have been accepted for publication by recognized, refereed scholarly journals, but which require the payment of page charges
- Research costs, such as course release, materials, travel, preparation of manuscripts, etc.
- Expenses for pedagogical improvement, such as workshops, speakers, course development
- Publication of un-revised theses and dissertations
- Non-refereed, non-scholarly publications
- Publication of textbooks
- Complete start-up costs or ongoing support for scholarly journals edited or published by members of the University community
How to apply for support?
For manuscripts that have already been refereed and accepted by an academic publisher and that require subvention, send the following to the CCHS Director:
- Letter of request describing the kind and amount of subvention required, when it will be needed, and other details pertinent to publication
- Documentation of the manuscript's acceptance, including copies of your correspondence with the editors, referees' reports, etc.
- Statements from both the author and the departmental chair that no other funds are available for support of this publication
- For journal publications, send documentation that publication is conditional on support (whether in the form of page charges or required offprint orders)
- For book publication, send statements from the publisher on required author costs
Send all materials to:
Commonwealth Center for Humanities and Society
Stevenson Hall, Room 410
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292