LinkedIn is a very important networking tool. You are able to view job openings, employers, and even find a contact at different companies. Most importantly it is FREE to create.
NOTE: LinkedIn is a professional networking site. It is not designed to be used like Facebook or any other social platforms.
Creating a LinkedIn page is quick and easy. Once you have created a login, LinkedIn walks you through every step of the way.
Tips for LinkedIn:
- Be professional. This may be how an employer learns about you. It is not uncommon for employers to reach out to potential candidates based on what they see on their profile. Be the best you.
- Make sure your profile matches your resume. If there are discrepancies between what your profile and resume states, there may be question of the legitimacy of everything else stated on your profile/resume. An example would be the dates of your employment listed your profile for Employer X is different on You do not want the potential employer to lose interest because of a minor mistake.
- Provide a picture. A profile is not complete if there is no picture.
- Stay active. LinkedIn is a good place to research companies. Stay active by reading posts, providing comments, and staying connected with alumni and employers. You can also join groups of interest and learn some new things.
- Connect with as many people you know. The bigger your connections, the larger your network. You will be able to connect and find more people as your connections grow.
- Create your account now.