Depending on the job description or advertisement, a company/organization may have one of the following requirements: resume and cover letter required, resume required and cover letter optional, or resume required. We recommend submitting a cover letter with your resume 100% of the time.
Online Document Drop
Current students have the option of having their professional documents (resume, cover letter, etc.) reviewed online by a professionally trained Career Coach or Peer Career Advisor. Receive a response with feedback on your documents in 48 business hours (Monday - Friday)!
Purpose of a Cover Letter
- A formal business letter to an employer letting them know that you are interested in a position with their company, your qualifications and the reasons in which they should hire you.
- Communicates both your current capabilities and future potential.
- Grabs the attention of employers/recruiters.
- Allows you to expand upon the experiences listed in your resume.
- Sells your strongest skills and accomplishments.
- Helps get you the interview!
Review our cover letter checklist to learn more about what's include in a cover letter.
CandidCareer.com Cover Letter Video Clips
Preparing a Cover Letter - an overview of creating the cover letter (2:44).
Cover Letter Channel - hear what hiring managers in different professions say about the cover letter in video clips, each less than a minute long.
The Importance of Thank You Notes
Career Byte - Thank You Notes - short video (5:35) about how and why to send thank you notes.