Handshake Posting Policy
The Handshake platform is used by almost 900 colleges and universities across the country to create a community where employers and students can engage each other. The University Career Center uses Handshake to post internship, co-op, and professional entry-level positions to the students served in 9 of 12 colleges and schools (see below).
Handshake is used for all student employment positions (part-time/summer jobs), as well as all Federal Work Study positions. Thus, all students at the University have access to Cards Career Connection powered by Handshake.
Majors/Students Served by the UCC
The University Career Center posts professional entry-level, internship, and co-op positions for students in 9 of the 12 colleges/schools, including:
1. Arts & Sciences
- Humanities: English, Fine Arts, Foreign Languages, Philosophy, Theatre)
- Natural Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Astronomy)
- Social Sciences: Anthropology, Communication, Criminal Justice, Geography, Geosciences, History, Pan-African Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Urban/Public Affairs, Women's/Gender Studies
2. Dentistry (including Dental Hygiene)
3. Education and Human Development
- Exercise Science
- Sports Administration
- Human Resources and Organizational Development
- Organizational Leadership and Learning
- Teacher Education
4. Graduate School (in areas related to 9 colleges and schools)
5. Social Work
6. Medicine (Integrated Programs in Biomedical Sciences, Speech-Language Pathology, not Medical Doctors)
9. Public Health and Information Sciences
Fraudulent Positions and Questionable Hiring Practices
Due to the presence of fraudulent positions, phishing scams, and questionable employment opportunities; the University Career Center staff reviews every employer and position before posting to students. Although we cannot guarantee the integrity of every position, we take every effort to protect students, and the reputation of our employers, from fraudulent activity.
Information Required for All Positions:
- Provide a physical, commercial address
- Valid website URL
- Complete organization description
- Specific contact individual named, including email address. Email addresses that do not match the website domain and that cannot be verified as belonging to the organization will not be approved. Gmail or similar email addresses are not accepted.
- Postings must include a clear and concise description of the available position.
Position Types Defined:
- Internship/Co-op – employer supervised positions preparing students for a professional career track.
- Professional Entry-Level - career-related positions requiring a minimum of a bachelors degree.
- Student Employment (part-time jobs/full-time in summer) - for currently enrolled students to help offset educational and living expenses. The objective is to connect students with employers who offer part-time jobs that are flexible and can accommodate students’ class schedules. These positions are limited to Jefferson, Oldham, Bullitt, and Shelby counties in Kentucky and Floyd and Clark counties in Indiana. We will post full-time summer jobs.
- Federal Work Study - these positions are posted in Handshake by the Financial Aid Office. Employers cannot post these positions.
Opportunities Not Posted:
- Positions requiring less than a bachelors degree, non-professional jobs, and non-career track internships (excluding part-time, student employment positions)
- In-home services at private residences such as tutoring, cleaning, personal care, or yard work.
- Home-based businesses without a commercial location.
- Multi-level marketing/sales; business opportunities; positions requiring an investment or charging a fee; or soliciting business from UofL students.
- International employment, teach abroad, or study abroad opportunities.
- Positions from other job boards or web sites.
- Internships conducted virtually or that appear to be self-directed.
- Volunteer opportunities.
- Third party recruiters and staffing agencies who do not list the name of their client in the job posting.
We reserve the right to refuse postings that do not support the interests of the University.