Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs
Larry Owsley has served as the University of Louisville’s chief business officer under three presidents: Donald C. Swain (1983-1995), John W. Shumaker (1995-2000); and James R. Ramsey (2002-present). His responsibilities include the following: business and finance; human resources and affirmative action; physical plant operations; facilities master planning; construction and renovation; campus police; parking and transportation; food services and vending; and bookstore operations.
Selected accomplishments and activities at the University of Louisville include the following:
- developing and implementing a solid facilities master plan
- overseeing construction of over 23 major projects totaling $340 million
- developing and promoting a “capital renewal” program
- advocating and implementing a strong research compliance program
- developing and supporting a model environmental health and safety program
- partnering with the Vice President for Research to foster a “seamless research administration” infrastructure between pre-award and post-award responsibilities
- developing an award-winning minority business procurement program
- working with the Vice President for Health Sciences to shape the University Medical Center agreement
- planning, constructing and developing the University Club and Alumni Center
- planning and hosting a highly regarded annual meeting of the Southern Association of College and University Business Officers in April 2000
- teaching a graduate level course in public finance and budgeting for the public administration program
- overseeing endowment investment performance that has consistently been among the top performing university foundations as measured by Cambridge Associates
- serving as a panelist for a national NACUBO conference on privatized student housing in March 2003.
Larry is a 1969 graduate of Centre College of Kentucky with a major in history. He has a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Virginia in 1971 and a Master in Public Policy degree from the University of California, Berkeley in 1973.
Prior to joining the University of Louisville, Larry served in a number of higher education positions in Kentucky and California: Associate Director of Kentucky’s Governor’s Office for Policy and Management (1981-1983); the Chief Financial Officer for Kentucky’s Council on Higher Education (1978-1981) and its Assistant Director for Financial Analysis (1977-1978).
His California experience included three years as Assistant to the Director of the University of California Berkeley’s Health and Medical Services (1974-1977). Upon graduation from Berkeley’s Graduate School of Public Policy, he served one year as a program review analyst for the California Department of Finance (1973-1974).
Larry and his wife, Lois, are natives of Hardin County Kentucky and have been married since 1969. They are the proud parents of two children. David is a graduate of Washington University’s school of law and is currently an attorney with Stites and Harbison in Louisville. Sara is finishing her Ph.D. in computer engineering at Northwestern University’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. Lois is a retired registered nurse, who specialized in neonatal intensive care at university hospitals in Kentucky, Virginia and California.