Non-U.S. Citizens Transferring to the University of Louisville

Non-U.S. Citizens Transferring to the University of Louisville, Belknap Campus, from the Panama Undergraduate (PUG) Program

students holding UofL shirts  with a global map behind them

Required Immigration Documents

In addition to the on-line application and the academic documentation listed at Transfer to the University of Louisville, non-U.S. citizens applying for transfer to Belknap Campus must provide the following documents for immigration purposes.

  • Proof of adequate financial resources for study in the U.S.
    You must prove that you have adequate financial resources to support your educational and living expenses for the duration of your studies in the U.S.  Please see the estimated cost of attendance below for an outline of the financial resources you must demonstrate.  If you are submitting proof of personal funds, please attach an original bank official's letter verifying that you or your family has the total necessary funds on deposit. For government, agency or employer financial support, please provide an original letter from the sponsor stating the amount and duration of the scholarship and validity for attendance at the University of Louisville.

    Estimated Cost of Attendance (2011-2012 Academic Year)

    The following is an estimate of expenses for an academic year (9 months). Tuition and Fees are subject to change:
    $8,930.00(two semesters)
    International Student Fee$100.00($50 per semester / $25 summer)
    Student Activities Fee$196.00($98 per semester)
    Health Service Fee and Insurance$2,046.00(two semesters)1
    Living Expenses$8,000.00(nine months)2
    1Health Services and Insurance are required for a international students.
    2This amount represents a modest budget and actual costs will depend upon your own living style and needs. An additional $2,500.00 financial certificate is required for first dependent and $1000.00 for each dependent thereafter for students who wish to be accompanied by spouse and dependents in the U.S.
  • Photocopy of passport information page
  • Biographical information as follows:
    • City of birth
    • Country of birth
    • Citizenship country
    • Country of legal permanent residence
    • Home country address, including zip code
    • E-mail address

When you have met all requirements of the Office of Admissions and the International Center, the University will issue the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 for Student F1 Visa). This certificate is necessary to obtain a U.S. visa. The form will verify your eligibility for admission as determined by your academic qualifications, level of English proficiency, and confirmation of financial support. The estimated cost of one academic year's study will also be included. You will need to pay the SEVIS fee prior to making a visa interview appointment. The certificate, along with a valid passport, proof of sufficient financial support for your studies and receipt showing payment of the SEVIS I-901 Fee should be taken to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country at the time of your visa interview. Questions concerning the I-20 may be e-mailed to

Additional Services at the International Center

The University offers many services to our international students. The International Center provides orientation programs on campus, personal counseling, immigration advisement and issuance of immigration documents required for student/scholar visas. That office also coordinates cultural and social activities.

Please feel free to contact the International Center by phone at (502) 852-6604 or by email at, or at the International Center website. You may also write to them at:

International Center
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY   40292

Housing Information for Belknap Campus

The University of Louisville offers several types of resident housing. To request additional information or a housing application, please contact

Residence Administration Office
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292

or visit the Student Housing website. Please note that you must be admitted to the University of Louisville before you will be allowed to submit a housing application.

Applications to affiliated properties do not require proof of admission.