Staff Problem Resolution

I am unhappy and am having personal and/or workplace issues. What are my options?

If you have questions or concerns about any of the processes mentioned below, feel free to  or call her at 502.852.8041.

If you know of additional resources not listed here, please  so we can add them.

Assisted Dispute Resolution via the University Ombuds Office

NOTE: The assisted dispute resolution is both informal and confidential.

The purpose of assisted dispute resolution is, with the explicit permission of those involved, to help people involved in a dispute to engage in problem-solving conversation with one another with the assistance of an ombuds person. In essence, this conversation amounts to an "assisted negotiation" between the parties. Assisted dispute resolution can loosen the "deadlocks" which often prevent resolution and promote understanding, cooperation, and joint problem-solving between disputing parties.

File a Staff Grievance

NOTE: It is strongly suggested that you discuss your grievance with the Staff Grievance Officer, Sandy Russell before submitting this form. You may contact her at 852-4652 or

According to Red Book policy Article 5.8 Staff Grievances and Appeals found at,  “[a]fter first attempting to resolve the problem through informal discussion with the first level supervisor, any staff member directly affected by any condition believed to be unjust, inequitable, or a hindrance to effective performance, may initiate and pursue the grievance or appeal process…”

In order to initiate a grievance, an employee should complete and sign a Staff Grievance Form, then submit to his/her first line supervisor with a copy to the Employee Relations unit in Human Resources. Please attach additional pages if more space is needed than provided. Grievances must be filed within 15 workdays of the incident causing the grievance. The written grievance shall include a full statement indicating the basis for the grievance and the solution that the employee seeks.

File a Complaint of Discrimination or Harassment

NOTE: Federal and state law and university policy prohibit any form of retaliation against a person who files a discrimination complaint in good faith. Disciplinary action may be taken against any person who files a discrimination complaint in bad faith, or who maliciously or knowingly files false spurious, or frivolous claims charges.

A hostile work environment, sexual harassment, and discrimination as defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission are all cause to file a complaint. To file a complaint, please use the designated form. For questions, contact

File a Title IX Complaint

Title IX prohibits schools, colleges and universities that receive federal funds from discriminating based on sex—whether in the form of different treatment, or hostile educational environment created by sexual harassment or assault. The Title IX Coordinator oversees all aspects of UofL’s compliance with Title IX, including policies and procedures related to sexual misconduct and other forms of sex discrimination, coordinating the training of students, faculty and staff, and ensuring that assault survivors have access to appropriate resources and support.

The Title IX Deputy Coordinator for UofL employees is:
Mary Elizabeth Miles
Director, Employee Relations and Compliance
1980 Arthur Street 
Louisville, KY 40208

Contact PEACC Center

PEACC —Prevention, Education and Advocacy on Campus and in the Community— provides confidential advocacy and assistance to university students, staff and faculty who are affected by sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, sexual harassment or stalking. An advocate will listen and can assist in accessing medical care and arranging for medical evaluations, academic accommodations and housing accommodations, information regarding reimbursement for certain services related to the assault, referrals to counseling, and anonymous reporting to University Police and/or the Dean of Students Office. PEACC Center is located in the Student Activities Center W309H, 2100 S. Floyd St. Phone: (502) 852-2663.

File an American Disabilities Act Complaint

The ADA and its companion statute, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, prohibit public schools, colleges and universities from engaging in discrimination based on disability. The ADA Coordinator oversees all aspects of UofL’s ADA compliance, including but not limited to the provision of disability-related accommodations for students and employees, and accessibility of UofL’s campuses, programs, activities and communications.

The University is responsible for monitoring and addressing ADA compliance issues. An internal procedure provides for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints. Complaints should be directed to Employee Relations and Compliance, Human Resources, 1980 Arthur Street, 40208-2770 or email employee relations.

Contact UofL’s EAP

An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by the Human Development Company is available to university employees at no charge and provides confidential counseling, assessment and referral services. The program deals with the broad range of personal issues including, but not exclusive to:

  • Anger, anxiety, or grief
  • Communication problems
  • Drinking or drug use
  • Domestic violence
  • Eating disorders
  • Health problems
  • Marital, relationship, or family concerns
  • Depression and/or mood swings
  • Parenting
  • Stress
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Work issues

Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
502-589-HELP or 1-800-877-8332

Make an Appointment with UofL Psychological Services Center (PSC)

The UofL Psychological Services Center (PSC) is committed to offering services, which assist persons in managing problems they may experience in their daily lives. Clinical psychology graduate student therapists are closely supervised in their work with persons receiving services at the PSC.

The PSC is one of the most affordable service providers in the Louisville metropolitan area. Fees at the PSC are determined using a sliding fee scale, which is based on your annual household income. A fee estimate will be made during your initial phone conversation with the clinic staff representative. Fees are then set at the initial screening appointment upon proof of income. Payment should be made at the time of service with cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard.

The PSC is located on the University of Louisville Belknap Campus (Davidson Hall, Suite 210). It be reached at (502) 852-6782. Note: parking is provided for PSC clients.

Services include

  • Psychotherapy (Talk Therapy) and Counseling:
    • Individuals
    • Child & Adolescent Treatment (click here for more info)
    • Family Based and Individual Treatment for Eating Disorders/Disordered Eating
  • Group Services for Eating Disorders
    • Meal Support Therapy
    • Recovery Support Group
    • Perfectionism Group
    • Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Group
  • Assessment & Testing
    • Intellectual/academic/psycho-educational (all ages)
    • Advanced Program/Gifted and Talented
    • ADHD
    • Learning Disability
    • Eating Disorder Treatment Plan Development
    • Diagnostic
    • Personality
    • Memory
  • Information & Education
  • Resource Referral