A&S Planning and Budget Commmittee Minutes Oct 15 1997
Planning and Budget Committee
College of Arts and Sciences
October 15, 1997
Attending: G. Brown (Staff Representative), J. Garcia-Varela, J. McCabe (Dean's Office), R. Miller, N. Schwartz, L. S. Weissbach, W. Williams.
The meeting was called to order at 12:15 by Professor Schwartz, acting as chair due to the absence of Prof. Steffen. The minutes of the September 24 meeting were approved.
The committee discussed a set of questions that members felt should be discussed at our meeting with the Dean on November 12. These included:
- The role for the Committee in the College's current planning and budgeting processes. To the extent that this role is not consistent with current governance documents, appropriate language needs to be developed that specifies an active role for the committee and with which the Dean will be comfortable;
- The Committee's role in College reallocation questions;
- The Committee's role in the Priorities for Action;
- The fit of the College with the Challenge for Excellence;
- The impact of the Undergraduate Initiative;
- The future of +20 pay and/or annualization of salaries;
- The impact of the SACS rules affecting use of graduate students and part-time instructors, as well as the allocation of new lines to the English Department, on College planning and budgeting.
Minutes submitted by